Thursday, April 02, 2009

Presently pontificating

Most of the blogs these days are about Bradley... but this one's for me.

I am a present. I don't know if you know that about me, but I am. This was a keen observation made by my friend Stephanie about me yesterday while she and I were hanging out, and our rugrats were playing on the floor.

I loved her insight, and heartily agreed. Stephanie is one of those people who have their hand in everything it seems, and she knows everyone, and makes friends easily. She is my idea of a supermom. It also seems that Stephanie is a good judge of character, and she's having a tough time figuring me out... because I am a present.

Here's what I took that to mean: all wrapped up in a pretty package on the outside, but the best part is what's inside the box. And I readily admit I'm not one to open myself up completely to new people. It takes me a long time to warm up to people and let them know the real me. But once the bow is loosened, and the paper torn off, that's when a person gets to know the real Amanda. Where the present part comes in is that once you are in, you are in for life. I will be loyal and trustworthy, and a great listener. I, am a present. Guarded? Definitely. Too cautious? Perhaps. But I'm happy with who I am, and patiently seeking the next friends I will open myself up to.

No comments: