Friday, April 24, 2009

Omelet Italiano

As one who only knows her way around a kitchen by proxy, I am quite pleased with myself for creating a fabulous breakfast this morning. While Bradley dined on organic banana and pear juice, I created what I am calling an Italian Omelet. I sauteed some onions, shredded a few fresh basil leaves, diced some tomato, and threw in a generous helping of mozzarella cheese to glue it all together, and it was, as Rachel Ray would say, YUM-OH!

I was going to add some meat to the mix, but the veggie combo seemed like enough this morning, although I suppose if you wanted to crank it up a notch, ala Emeril, you could add pancetta and make it super Italian, whereas I was going to use plain old deli ham. My only other complaint was that the mozzarella cheese was a little too mild to cover all of the "eggy" taste of the omelet, so I would try a bolder flavored cheese next time to balance everything out. Again, I'm grabbing at straws here, and am by no means the cooking experts my sister and mom are, but I would suggest maybe asiago cheese? I'm up for other opinions though.

Anywho, you can tell I've been watching a lot of the Food Network lately! Every now and then I get a hankering for a good omelet, and having just purchased fresh basil for another recipe, I figured I would innovate a new way to use the herb since I rarely use all of a fresh herb before it goes bad. Look at me being all thinky. So don't be jealous. I may have spiders, but I also have fabulous breakfasts.

No comments: