Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Telling a Tori on myself

Everyone is entitled to their own trash tv obsession.  Ari admittedly watches "Rock of Love," Laura's guilty pleasure is "Real Housewives of Orange County," and mine was "Kimora Lee Simmons: Life in the Fab Lane."  I say it used to be, not because I am too busy being a mom to watch trash tv- Please!  Truthfully I find myself watching more tv these days during nursing sessions, but sadly enough, we don't get the Style network here, so (Gasping in horror)- No Kimora Lee Simmons!!

Not to fear.  Turns out there is an abundance of trash tv out there, and I quickly found a replacement for Kimora:  "Tori & Dean's Home Sweet Hollywood" on Oxygen.  Yes, I'm ashamed to admit I watch the Oxygen network, and even more ashamed that I am glued to a celeb-reality show about Tori Spelling, not even my favorite character way back when, when 90210 ruled my middle school world.  (Although who remembers her before-they-were-stars role as Violet, Screech's girlfriend on SBTB??!!)  In case you haven't seen the show, it follows around Tori Spelling, her husband Dean, and their one-year-old Liam.  Tori's expecting their 2nd child, and may I say, had way cute maternity clothes, and on the season finale last night, Tori and I bonded.

There was a segment where a very preggers Tori served ice cream at Baskin Robbins' Bump Day this past spring.  Immediately it put things into perspective for me at how close together hers and my pregnancies were.  I went to Bump Day at Baskin Robbins with Natalie, and may I say, I was nowhere near as big as Miss Spelling-McDermott was at the same stage.  Guess I know what they mean now about 2nd pregnancies affecting you differently than the first!  Also, at the end of the episode was the birth of the new baby Stella, and her birthday was June 9, 2008- two days after Bradley was born.  

Call me crazy for getting just a teensy bit too obsessed with this show (hey, at least I'm not watching Lifetime!), but I felt a kinship with Tori, knowing we were going through our prego period at the exact same stage and time!  Okay.  Maybe just a little crazy.

One final sidenote, whenever I hear "Tori & Dean," I still think of Taureen Dean, the former FL basketball player.  Again, crazy, I know, but what can I say?  I think everyone's entitled to their own little trash tv obsessions.  Don't judge me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

there are way better shows to watch. just turn on bravo anytime and there are a number of great things to watch, such as; shear genius, project runway, and million dollar listing. i suggest these rather than tori spelling.
-laura

Amanda Vilendrer said...

I said no judging

Anonymous said...

this is why i will become a working mom.
_heather_

MamaB said...

Yes,, Heather, I agree---Miss Amanda and Little Bradley need a new show to watch--someone has way too much time on their hands. I remember back in the olden days when I stayed home with A&L--I at least watched "Phil Donahue" and that show gave you all kinds of great information. It wasn't stupid reality TV at its worst!!

-Beth- said...

OK - I watch it too.... I will confess - it is on my tivo now!!! yep, I too feel a ridiculous guilt that I like it. There's just something interesting to me a/b watching people at home and having kids and being pregnant just adds more to it! And I totally cried when she had the baby on this last episode! Do you watch Jon & Kate?

Bart and/or Ari said...

you'll be watching golden girls in no time.

Anonymous said...

I so remember Violet! And here is where my useless facts come in handy- the song she sang in the chorus that episode- "Beautiful Dreamer." See Amanda, it could be worse than just watching a little trash TV. =^)
~Ang

Mark Kelly Hall said...

I recommend "Corner Gas" on WGN, a Canadian show about a tiny town of characters of various degrees of normalcy and wackiness. Hilarious, plus I'm in love with the Lacey character. And Jon & Kate will make you feel like you hardly have childcare duties at all. Remember, I have a degree in Broadcasting, so my opinion has all the power and credibility conferred by academia.