Thursday, July 03, 2008

a drip to wallyworld

I have officially experienced one of the rites of passages that every mom inevitably goes through- the purchase of the"Mom swimsuit."  Yesterday I braved (the) Walmart alone with Bradley in search of a "fat girl swimsuit," not knowing what our 4th of July weekend plans held, but certain of the fact that should our plans include water, that I was not yet slim enough to fit into one of my regular swimsuits.  So, to Walmart I went.  Bradley was an angel and slept in his carseat in the basket the entire time while I shopped around and settled on 3 suits to try on.

Once in the dressing room, things got a little hairy.  It's not that the suits didn't fit- well, one of them did anyways- a hot pink halter top and skirted bottom tankini-  it's just that, shall we say in between suits, I gasped in horror as I realized I was leaking onto the dressing room floor from the chestal area.  Given that I doubt any Walmart shopper would appreciate my lactation expertise, I tried to stopper the drips while simultaneously grabbing my nursing bra.  I realized the humor in the situation but was completely grossed out at the time! (probably like you the reader are now!)  (who knew those things had such a mind of their own, right?)  All I could do was gather my things, try to duck out of the dressing room, and hope that no one noticed the puddle I left behind!  I mustered every ounce of dignity that I had, casually placing the skirted tankini Mom-suit in my basket and speeding away from the dressing room area before someone could blame me for them slipping in a pool of vitamin D goodness.  All in the day of a life of this diva mom!


4 comments:

Mary Anna said...

This is why I wear flip flops in places like dressing rooms. Hi-larious. At least handsome behaved himself. Have fun at the beach, doll!

Mary Anna said...

I meant hotel rooms...but it goes for dressing rooms too. My feet don't touch the floor!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh, I feel for you darling! Your story makes me remember my post pregnancy public leakage accident. We were at Sam's club signing up for a membership and I was getting ready to have my picture taken when Neil looked at me as said, what is on your shirt? I looked down and to my horror, I had to big wet spots on my chest. It was humiliating!

Conley said...

Amazing. Sorry for your plight, darling, but thanks for sharing it so we can laugh with you!!