Thursday, June 05, 2008

L&D Mix

No, not LSD- we're not talking about hallucinogenic drugs here; L&D as in Labor & Delivery. As we all know, music is very important to me. I enjoy the constant noise of the radio or a cd playing in my car, so when I read about women requesting low lighting in the hospital room, and asking that hospital personnel speak in soft voices at an attempt to make the room as peaceful as possible, I tend to shy in the opposite direction!

I say, Bring it on people! Lights, Camera, Action (well, maybe no cameras until Bradley is here)!

But I have been waffling on what kind of itunes mix to create for my labor & delivery. I already have a mix of "happy songs" that are upbeat to lift my spirits during early labor. Conley keeps suggesting I play "Final Countdown" which then gets stuck in my head and makes me mad. I considered uploading Mozart's Requiem Mass to my ipod because I find it calming and relaxing, but then I thought there was something intrinsically wrong about playing a death mass to welcome my son into the world. So my final idea was to create a mix of mellow songs with artists like John Mayer, Coldplay, and James Morrison.

But the jury's still out, so while we're in the homestretch here, I thought I'd open up the floor for discussion. Notice the poll at the top of the page- feel free to vote on what is there, and make your own (helpful) suggestions.

7 comments:

Katie said...

Ooo that is tough! I am casting my vote for moody and mellow... Although if you opt for the epidural or other pain relievers you may want to go with pure Pink Floyd...

Bart and/or Ari said...

how about "it's raining men?" or "boys will be boys." i love the idea of "final countdown." heard that on the radio on the way home yesterday and cranked it. could be a good option.

Anonymous said...

like i keep saying. i am making you listen to explosions in the sky. their music is so hopeful and calming.
-laura

Sallie said...

I liked "Stay up Late" by the Talking Heads when I went into labor. It goes, "Mama had a little baby..little feet..little hands". The tempo is great! Of course, I had world's worst labor, so maybe you shouldn't take my advice! :)

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Here's a few, off the top of my head (most from my personal collection):
The Boy In The Bubble (Paul Simon--from Graceland)
Don't Worry, Be Happy (Bobby McFerrin)
You're Having My Baby (Paul Anka)
Baby, Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me (Mac Davis)
Big Girls Don't Cry (Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons)
Baby, Baby (Amy Grant)
The Load-Out (Jackson Browne--not incl. "Stay" part of medley)
It's Going To Take Some Time (the Carpenters)
Movin' Out (Billy Joel)
Already Gone (Eagles)
New Kid In Town (Eagles)
Let Me Take You Home Tonight (Boston)
I Feel The Earth Move (Carol King)
Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? (Chicago)
Looks Like We Made It (Barry Manilow)
One Way Out (Allman Brothers)
Miracles Out of Nowhere (Kansas--OK, a little obscure, but a fave)
More Than a Woman (Bee Gees)
Sweet Baby James (James Taylor)
If You Love Somebody Set Them Free (Sting)
Everything Is Beautiful (Ray Stevens)
You Can Call Me Al (Paul Simon--from Graceland)
It's the End of the World As We Know It (R.E.M.)
Shiny Happy People (R.E.M.)
I Got You Babe (Sonny & Cher)
We've Only Just Begun (the Carpenters)

Anonymous said...

Pictures PLEASE! Let me know when you're leaving too...Congratulations!!!! =)
Love, Ellen

Bethany said...

BIG Congrats on baby Bradley. He is ADORABLE!