Friday, June 13, 2008

B-DAY

So as many of you have probably heard by now, the 9 month waiting game is over!  Our precious son, Bradley Derek Vilendrer is now here.  He came into this world at 4:58 p.m. on Saturday with the coolest birthday ever, 06,07,08  weighing in at a healthy eight pounds and measuring 20 inches in length.  Bradley has blue eyes, and a beautiful head of blonde hair, which the doc said may just turn into a head full of red hair before too long!

The labor didn't go at all as we had anticipated though.  So much for blogging from the hospital giving blow-by-blow, up-to-the-minute details!  (PS- the happy upbeat song list ended up being the music du jour!)  I started to feel like I was having contractions early Friday evening, so Brian left Florida to make his way up here at 8 pm Friday night.  In the meantime, I did everything I could to convince myself that I was Not in labor, that the pain was Not that bad, and that everyone around me was fussing and making a big deal out of nothing.  In the meantime Brian, thinking he had plenty of time to get up here for what was surely to be false labor pains, spent the night in Birmingham before finally arriving here at 10:30 am on Saturday morning.  We called the nurse on call as soon as he got here, who told us to head for the hospital, so in true DIVA fashion, I showered, shaved my legs, fixed my hair, and put on makeup all in between some severe contractions!
Here's our last picture before heading to the hospital!

Still, I was not convinced that this really was "it."  I thought we might get to the hospital and they would tell me to go back home and come back later.  On the contrary- when we finally got checked into triage around 1pm, I was already dilated to 7cm, and I started to cry when the nurse told me, "you're going to have a baby today!!"  Everything happened really fast from then on out.  As we walked down to the 5th floor where I got settled into my room I asked the nurse, "what's the date- the 7th?"  As she confirmed this, I got excited when I realized my baby boy would have 06-07-08 for his birthday.  Dad also reminded me later on that today was D-day, and so I countered that it was now also B-day!  Less than 4 hours later Bradley Derek Vilendrer made his way quickly into this world.  I'll spare you the details of labor but let me just praise God for once again making things extremely easy on me.  He blessed Brian and me with an uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery, and now has blessed us with a beautiful healthy son.

Less than a week later, as I'm finally finding time to blog (my how one's priorities can quickly change!) in the middle of another sleepless night, it is hard to comprehend all that has happened.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so I'll let the images speak for themselves...

Bradley Derek Vilendrer born 6-7-08 at 4:58pm

Me and my beautiful baby boy


the proud papa
Bradley's homecoming on Monday

7 comments:

Katie said...

Congratulations Amanda and Brian! He is just precious! By the way - I am so completely jealous of your short delivery! Get some good rest (if possible) and keep the pictures coming!

Mary Anna said...

Happy B-day Baby Boy! I love it. Can't wait to meet him, doll!

Bart and/or Ari said...

Oh, I haven't seen him in 3 days and am dying. Don't know if I can wait until tomorrow or not. He's amazingly gorgeous and just wonderful. Congratulations to the happy family.

emmysue said...

Yay!! Welcome,Bradley!

MamaB said...

Yes, little Bradley is a gorgeous little boy and God answered our prayers with an easy delivery for Amanda and a beautiful healthy boy. I am not predjudiced either--he is BEAUTIFUL.

Grandma B

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Cute kid! Really, I'm not just saying that...and with most newborns, let's face it, it's usually a lie, or at least an exaggeration. Also, I'm so honored you named him after my high school ( http://www.bradleycentral82.com/); neat coincidence it's also your last name. Maybe David and Bev Knox's grandkid can coach him on a future career: http://markkellyhall.blogspot.com/2008/06/macy-star.html

Sarah said...

Congratulations!!!!!!! I can't believe I was away and missed all the news. I'll give you a day or two to settle in, but then I'm gonna call and catch up on all the news of lil' B!! :-D

HOORAY!