Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Starbux Spectacle

Time for another pregnant lady food story! This a.m. I forwent the Dunkin Donuts in lieu of yesterday's debacle and decided to make a trip over to Starbucks for my morning break instead. I had a gift card and wanted a Frappucino to tie (tide?) me over til lunchtime. When I got up to the window, the lady was so taken with my pregnant belly that after she oohed and ahhed over me, she hollered over to several other employees to come over to the window and take a look at me as well. I felt very self-conscious to say the least, with that whole fishbowl syndrome thing going on as several women stared at me through the glass drive-thru window.

And silly me, all I could think of was, here I am pregnant, and everyone knows that expecting moms are supposed to limit their caffeine intake, which I am very aware of, but I felt guilty indulging my Frappucino craving, and sat there wondering if these Starbucks employees were wondering the same thing and thinking that I am a bad mother!

4 comments:

Bart and/or Ari said...

You are not a bad mother, you're just bad at mornings. They should understand that.

Sallie said...

Ha, I'm the opposite! Every time I order my Grande Nonfat Decaf Latte with half a pack of Splenda, they look really annoyed and I explain that I am pregnant, trying not to drink caffeine, trying to get a lot of milk, and trying to monitor my caloric intake, hence the complicated order, and they always say, "Every other pregnant woman drinks caffeine. I wouldn't worry about it." Then I feel like crap and sulk off, wondering if they secretly caffeinated it. Truth is, they're probably not thinking about us at all, and couldn't care less one way or the other!

Mark Kelly Hall said...

I'm pretty sure part of the Starbucks Indoctrination Program (the same one where they get a little electric shock every time they admit a "tall" is actually a "small") is a section called "Caffeine Is Good For Everyone, No Matter What"--and as examples they specifically list pregnant women, old men with heart conditions and the deceased. So, no judgment there.

Jordan & Bethany said...

Whatever!! Have they never seen a pregnant women before...how funny?!