Tuesday, February 26, 2008

when bad fashion happens to good actors

I know, I know, it's been forever since I've blogged! There's so much to do, and so little time to do it all. The other stories can wait. Right now I need my Oscar fashion opinions out there for the world to agree with. I am a devoted follower of the Oscars each year, and try to manage to see the big movies nominated. That didn't so much happen this year, but it doesn't mean I can't be a catty girl and comment on the outfits and hairstyles our stars sported. I mean, come on, it's only the biggest PR event these actors and actresses have for an entire year, and it's their chance to get all glammed out with no expenses spared. So that said, were our little starlets on a fashion budget this year, scrimping on jewells, hairstyles, and boring cheaper gowns?

See example A: Cameron Diaz forgot her makeup AND her bling, and I hope to goodness she didn't pay a stylist to tame her tresses! I've heard the rainy weather was wreacking havoc on all the ladies 'dos, but this was just ridiculous. See examples B and C, Jennifer Garner and Ellen Page. Both are sporting the same undone, hair in the face, growing-out bangs. Somebody please get these gals some bobby pins!

Anne Hathaway took a big fashion risk with this crimsom number. From what I've read she's appeared on both the best and worst dressed lists. Like so many ladies this year, she opted for a one-shouldered gown, but unlike most of them, hers featured a hideous swath of material flowers across the boddess, and this weird drapey off the shoulder accent. I'm not a fan. Even her big doe-y eyes can't distract me from a fashion disaster when I spot one.

Speaking of other controversial red-carpet dos and don'ts, Heidi Klum looked smashing in this bright red dress, but she accented it with hot pink earings and clutch! Isn't she the poster girl for fashion with Project Runway? At what point did it become fashionably daring to mix cupid's colors?? Now you know I'm a sucker for pink, but not at the expense of ruining my amazing red (carpet) ensemble. Go back to fashion school Heidi... carry on, people!


Hollywood's worst dressed couple had a new winner erm-Loser- this year. Usually reserved for Johnny Depp and his quasi-wife, This year Best Actor winner Daniel Day Lewis takes the honors with his red piped tuxedo jacket and Brown (yes brown!) lace up boots, and his wife's choice is Cher-meets-my-Christmas-presents, and is straight outta the 80's!


And finally (you knew I saved the best for last!) My Best, Worst Dressed Actress is none other than Tilda Swinson, aka the snow queen from the Chronic(what?)cles of Narnia. She merits 2 pictures because she's just that jaw dropping, and not in the good way. The hair is bad (as if she didn't look androgynous anyways?), no feminine jewels, and ohmygosh, I want to attack her with an eyeliner pencil so bad it's not funny!! The shapeless gown with way too much material is reminiscent of Missy Elliot's outfit in the Fly video from way back when. Aka, Tilda put on a garbage bag, combed her hair back with some Dep gel, smoothed some moisterizer into her face apparently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed some mr pibb and redvines while reading this. it was crazy delicious.

natalie said...

FR, you have made a masterpeice here. I'm cracking up reading this blog.