Monday, February 11, 2008

searching for Atonement of my own

Tadders and I went to see Atonement last week, and I am still wrestling internally with this film. I always like to make a point to see the movies nominated for Oscars, even though I'm way behind on that this year. I'd love anyone else's take on the movie if you've seen it though, because my first reaction that night was, okay, that was seriously depressing. The thing that stood out most to me about Atonement was that there was not a single likeable character in the entire movie; everyone is flawed, everyone is human, and my Gosh, Keira Knightly needs to eat something! She is tee-tiny to the anorexic degree.

I'm supposed to read this book for book club but don't know when I'll get around to completing the novel (or begin it for that matter, given the current circumstances of life!) so if there is anyone who has already read the book and can vouch for its validity and worthwhileness, I'm willing to listen.

What bothers me most of all is that I am still mulling over this film almost a week later- a film that has disturbed me so much, even though I claim to not have liked it. Does that make any sense at all?

No comments: