Thursday, February 28, 2008

Breaking the news about Wind

Contrary to the popular belief of most males, girls fart. Some of us are more liberal and forward in our sharing than others, but it does happen. I've always been in the school of thought that promotes the "hold it in, we all win" philosophy. I won't fart in public, in front of guys, and rarely in front of my family. Farts belong in the bathroom on the toilet. In fact, I can't believe I'm actually writing about this here for all the world to see, but there's something about pregnancy that makes you much less self-conscious that you used to be! I hop on scales, pee in cups, talk openly about my female issues, and eat as much as I want to without consideration that I look like a heifer. I also have terrible gas right now as a side effect of the pregnancy!

It's become a running joke with Brian and my family because I make no apologies about the fact that I am passing gas quite frequently these days. Everyone laughs when I do because it is so out of character for prim and proper me, who months ago, would have shuddered at the thought of posting the word "fart" in a blog. I still hate the word, but call it whatever cutesy name you can come up with, but a fart is still a fart, and it's a disgusting-but-natural part of life! It's also a very common side effect of pregnancy!

Today I chanced a silent one at my desk, then realized in horror that if I could smell it, those around me probably could too! I hope no one was the wiser, but I think I'll stick to my original mantra of "hold it in, we all win" while in public places, or else make a mad dash to the ladies' room until this phase passes (pun intended).

5 comments:

MamaB said...

As always, you make me laugh with your blogs and considering how our family LOVES discussing bodily functions, it is OK to discuss the art of "farting".

Mary Anna said...

This is cracking me up. Myself and six other girls in my Bible Study were talking about this the other night, and saying how we're always so gassy.

One interesting phenomenon to ponder... the first poop at the boyfriends house. I won't say any names, but a good friend of ours used to rush home from her boyfriends house to poop. She would NOT go at his house under any circumstances. And they dated for 2 years or something.

And, another mutual friend of ours, whose shall go unnamed, gets extreme stage fright on trips, and will stay "inconvenienced" for days at a time.

Hi-larious!

-Beth- said...

GIRL... you have no idea how much i understand!!! Fortunately Daniel thinks it's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

"popping buttons" girl. we've discussed the medical terminology before. ~ari

emmysue said...

Do you know how many times the average male passes gas in one day? 13 times*. Do you know how many times the average female passes gas in one day? 13 times*.

Get over it, boys...women fart, too!

*Statistics are according to Dr. Oz on Oprah