Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Why Dixie's More Delightful

I have a theory. It's about- and I'm generalizing here- why northerners are so rude. I call people all day long for my job (correction. I'm supposed to call people all day long for my job. Some days I blog and check Myspace more than I should. Rainy days like today are prime examples of me doing more of the latter... but I digress) Most of my customers are Tennesseans, which I love. A small section of them however are located in the Northeast. And I'm simplifying, but overall I hate calling them! They are rude, anxious to get off the phone, and too self-important to want to talk about music for their church choirs.

It's a well-known cliche that Southerners are more polite than their northern counterparts. My theory is why this is true. I don't think that I'm the first person to postulate it, but I'll share my guess with you all: People up north are miserable because they're cold 90 percent of the time.

Lord knows I get cranky when I have to wear a hooded sweatshirt and fuzzy socks over my pjs to sleep comfortably. And I'd bet my swimming pool that there's a statistic out there that rates the happiest state populations, and my guess is that people who inhabit warmer states are generally happier than those residing in the frozen tundra of the north. We southerners get more sunshine, and warmer weather, and hence are nicer to people. What say ye on this topic?

5 comments:

Heather said...

tennessean at heart and by birth ... and maryland-er by address and tax purposes only... I second that motion and say "Amen!"

MamaB said...

Yes, I will agree too. I have become a lot nicer person in the 32 years that I have lived here in the south and the warmth and sunshine have a LOT to do with it!!

Anonymous said...

Sunny days do make me happy, but I do not like the humidity in the south.
-laura

Mary Anna said...

Postulate is one of my all-time favorite words.

And I'm not so sure that all Yankees are heinous. I still like to perpetuate the stereotype though. Southerners are the BEST!

Anonymous said...

stick with me on this one:
according to http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2006/index.html
the top 25 small cities in which to live are
1 Fort Collins, CO
2 Naperville, IL
3 Sugar Land, TX
4 Columbia/Ellicott City, MD
5 Cary, NC
6 Overland Park, KS
7 Scottsdale, AZ
8 Boise, ID
9 Fairfield, CT
10 Eden Prairie, MN
11 Plano, TX
12 Eagan, MN
13 Olathe, KS
14 West Bloomfield , MI
15 Richardson, TX
16 Gilbert, AZ
17 Parsippany-Troy Hills, NJ
18 Santa Clarita, CA
19 Carrollton, TX
20 Henderson, NV
21 Bellevue, WA
22 Newton, MA
23 Sandy, UT
24 Westminster, CO
25 Ann Arbor, MI
And the top 10 big cities are
1 Colorado Springs, CO
2 Austin, TX
3 Mesa, AZ
4 Raleigh, NC
5 San Diego, CA
6 Virginia Beach, VA
7 Omaha, NE
8 Columbus, OH
9 Wichita, KS
10 New York, NY
Wow, Columbus, OH? I NEVER would have guessed. Ok, that's my research for the day. Hope it was enlightening.
~ari