Wednesday, April 04, 2007

a dog day afternoon

Yes, I know, it's not really hot at all today (Hansel. So not hot right now. Hansel) but today's Cliche a Day calendar provided some fantastic insight to the English language as usual.

dog days
the hottest days of summer
(why the calendar chose to include this phrase in the month of March, as opposed to, oh, I don't know, August when it is usually sweltering, is beyond my grasp)
The ancient Romans ascribed the apex of summer heat to the ascendancy of the dog star, or Sirius. The brightest star in the sky, it is located in the constellation Canis Major, meaning the "big dog."

It figures that this phrase would pop up on my desk calendar on the day that I lament the change in weather. For weeks now the weather has been gloriously, unusually warm for this time of year. And now that Easter approaches and everyone is pulling out their spring clothes, we have another cold snap and are expecting freezing temperatures for the rest of the week. Go figure. Why do you mock me so, Cliche a Day calendar?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehehehehe, the romans had a big dog. such gangsters.
~ari

Bethany said...

I know- unreal, right?! What is up with waking up to my house being 60 degrees. Sheesh!