Monday, March 19, 2007

Yes, Virginia, there is a Tennessee

Ahh, March madness. Seriously, one of my favorite times of the year. I layed in bed reading a book on Saturday afternoon (the Kiterunner- fabulous) while watching ncaa basketball on tv and thought I'd died and gone to heaven!

I know it has to do with how I've grown up, but basketball in my house has been in the forefront since as long as I can remember. Laura and I used to swap every year siding with mom or dad when Kentucky & Indiana would play, and we have each filled out tournament brackets and hung them in the kitchen for years and years now. Dad picks Kentucky to win the thing every year. Laura and I would fight over who got to highlight the winners. I know I'm the oddball girl who actually gives a rip about sports, but I can't help but wonder what's wrong with all these men who know nothing about them! Isn't this supposed to be right up their masculine alley- The competition and tradition, and loyalty to one's team? Yet I know so many men who barely know what a basketball is, let alone care enough to fill out a bracket, or center their weekend around watching a game.

I'm currently in first place among the pool at work, but my sister is in First Place among every MTSU student who has filled out a ncaa tourney bracket on facebook. First among thousands! I bow down to her in amazement.

The title of my blog I stole from my witty father, in response to the outcome of yesterday's UVA-UT matchup. 3 out of the 4 SEC teams who made it into the tournament this year are going to the Sweet 16. Guess which team didn't make it. Yep. My beloved Wildcats ended their season with a hard-fought loss to Kansas. I wasn't shocked at this, and await the start of next season with a new coach perhaps? We'll see.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am just glad that filling out brackets for as long as i can remember has finally paid off.
--Laura

Bethany said...

Go VOLS! I'm so proud of my big Orange :-)

Big Blue Barry said...

3 ouf of 5 SEC teams made it to the Dance - Arkansas was there too.

I'll be very surprised if Tubby isn't back next year.

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Just a word from the Grammar Nazi:
"Layed in bed"? Really?

And regarding this tidbit:

“…I can't help but wonder what's wrong with all these men who know nothing about them!”

This isn't technically a question, much less one that demands a response, but for the sake of your further education in the World of Men...

Easy answer: nothing. Meaning, not caring about sports that much does not indicate a deficiency (in testosterone levels or anything else). The expression of manliness takes many forms, some more obvious than others, some more productive, some more alien to the feminine mind (and some even men find pretty gross).

For the rest of my unsolicited answer, and to see the kind of thought your blogging can inspire in your faithful readers (despite the imperfections in both), see
http://markkellyhall.blogspot.com/2007/03/sports-menand-women-who-love-them.html