Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Tubb has been drained

Holy Mother of Basketball! The unthinkable has happened- Tubby Smith is leaving the University of Kentucky. The story hit the press only held about an hour ago, so details are still sketcky, but it appears that Tubby left on his own volition (if for none other reason than if he didn't resign, he might have been canned). He announced that he is taking the head coaching position at the University of Minnesota. Go Gophers, Go.

I have mixed feelings- I was brought up in the Tubby era. Most of Kentucky's glory days in basketball I wasn't around to see, or too young to remember. Tubby Smith basketball is practically all I know! But I also know that our program has dwindled from the premiere basketball program in the country to a mediocre program lacking in good recruits, and failing to win championships year after year. I wish Tubby well in his new venture.

Here's all I can find on the topic right now: cbs.sportsline.com , foxsports, and a good one from espn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

NO way!!!!!! This is the best news ever!!!

Lana

Anonymous said...

your quote for friday from an article on kentucky.com:

Smith will sign a seven-year contract worth $1.7 million per season, plus incentives for both basketball and academic performance, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis reported.
"I just think it's a great opportunity for me and my family," Smith said. Minnesota is a familiar name in basketball, he said.

that's all i have to say about that.
~ari

Big Blue Barry said...

As a native Kentuckian who grew up on Joe B. Hall and then watched the program suffer through the disgraces of Eddie Sutton, I will miss Tubby from the perspective of how he ran a clean program with class and dignity.

That being said, Tubby just didn't land the type of recruits that a school like UK should have gotten. This was never more evident than it was last weekend when Kansas knocked us out of the dance.

Now that the initial shock of him being gone is over, I'm very excited about the prospect of UK getting a fresh start. I just hope that Mitch Barnhardt realizes how big of a decision he is about to make when he hires the next coach.

For his sake, and for the sake of the program, he better not hire the basketball equivalent of Rich Brooks.