Friday, March 30, 2007

a trip down aria lane

HMS Pinafore is well under way, and so far so good. Last night was our first night back after a break, and I could tell my own energy was lacking. A lot of little factors contributed to a not-so-stellar performance on my part. I didn't get a chance to really warm up my voice. I also didn't eat dinner, so I ate an apple backstage before my first entrance which is a little ways into the first act. At one point during my first song, I felt something fly out of my mouth and onto my lip- I quickly pressed my lips together to remove the foreign particle and realized in horror that a piece of apple had just shot out of my mouth. Hopefully, none of the auidence members caught this.

Seconds later, as I turned to go up stage and onto the platform, still while I am singing mind you, I was still so flustered at the apple incident that I didn't pull my dress up enough as I climbed the step, and I stepped on my dress, tripping myself! The chain reaction continued as I was so distracted at the fact that I had just stumbled, I took the first ending twice, changing the end of my aria completely. Then, as if that weren't enough, I tripped again on my dress a few minutes later as I was leaving the stage after my scene with the Captain! Grrr!

True, it could have been a much worse performance, because nothing disastrous happened, but I was disapointed in myself. Hopefully tonight will go more smoothly!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

you were absolutely wonderful and completely stole the show! i wanted to tell people, "i know her!" but i was afraid they wouldn't believe me. plus, no worries about the apple, tripping or anything. everyone was much too concerned with your boisterous sailor boy and your um...father.
~ari

MamaB said...

Boisterous sailor boy--what a great description Ari...sort of reminds me of that boisterous sailor boy she brought home one time!!!!!! Anyway---I am glad you had all your mishaps in ONE performance--the rest will be smooth as silk!! Love you and thanks for cheering me up as Mama B really needed cheering up today.

Jenni said...

I wish I could see your performance GB! I am spending this weekend working and tonight we're going out for Andy's birthday. I hope you can keep up with March Madness backstage...how's your bracket doing? Love you!

Mary Anna said...

If I remember correctly, there was also a cheetos-gone-awry incident during Penzance about a year ago. Am I making this up?

Mary Anna said...

*Ahem*

Please reference Tuesday, April 5, 2005 in the Diva Domain archives, titled "A funny thing happened on the way to the stage..."

Indeed there is more than just one cheesey-pouf instance. Your memory serves you correctly, in that you did leave the cheesey-poufs in my car in the van-related chaos last year. However, the cheesey-pouf instance I'm referring to also involved acting and eating and residual food. See your archives, madam.

Love,
Tooty

Amanda said...

haha- I had totally forgotten about that! I do get myself into trouble eating backstage don't I? You'd think I learned my lesson wouldn't you? Or perhaps it's the cheesy poufs which are corruped, causing all to stumble who partake in their crunchy goodness.