Tuesday, March 27, 2007

a spontaneous, star-studded show

Yesterday afternoon I got a phone call from an inside source that said Kenny Chesney was going to be playing a free concert at the Tin Roof. By the end of the day, KC had announced the show to his fan club, word spread around Nashville, and upon arriving at the "top secret" show at the Roof, there were 2 radio stations broadcasting live from outside the place, and the bar was full to capacity!
These are the fun things you get to experience when living in Music City, USA. Kenny Chesney threw himself a birthday party at the Tin Roof, and invited celebs and fans alike to come party with him. Mandy, Rhonda, and I got there late- around 9pm, and caught the last hour of the show, pushing our way through the crowd and ending up center stage about 5 rows back. Kenny was already 3 sheets to the wind by then, but it was a blast. He really is a very short guy- especially without the aid of the heighening cowboy hat! We got to see KC and the Moonshine Band share the stage with songwriter Brett James, and Kix Brooks, and earlier in the night, Kenny invited up songwriter Craig Wiseman, Gretchen Wilson, Big & Rich, & Montgomery Gentry among others, and Tim & Faith were there for the shindig although they supposedly remained out of the limelight. Mandy was hoisted onto the shoulders of a guy she didn't know so she got a birds eye view of the stage, and got some great pictures with Rhonda's camera (the pic currently posted came from a phone, so I apologize for the quality of the photo).

Kenny closed his show with She Thinks My Tractor's Sexy, and off he went to the VIP area out back where all the celebs and other important people were mingling. We three were not considered VIPS, so we hung out in the bar with everybody else. The place started to clear out, and as I happened to look over by the bar, there stood one of my favorite singer/songwriters, Angie Aparo. Now we all know that I am notoriously unaware of my surroundings and am usually the last person to spot a famous person out in public, but how do you miss a 5'4" bald man?! I approached him and told him what a fan of his I was, and talked to him for a minute and came away glowing! Then I went back and found him a few minutes later and got Rhonda to take our picture together. Her camera battery died, so we had to settle for the cell phone pic again, which isn't the best quality, but dadgummit, I got to meet Angie Aparo! I'm still beaming!

Mandy, Rhonda Lu & I headed up the street to Dan McGuiness to round out the spontaneous girls' night out on the town.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are becoming more and more spontaneous! Who are you???

Lana

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Good for you! Sounds like fun.

I went to the Tin Pan South show at the Mercy Lounge featuring Dr. John...had the privilege of saying hello and choking out "I appreciate your music" to Ray Stevens, of "The Streak" and "Gitarzan" fame. Got a pic of him and Manuel, purveyor of questionably tasteful clothing to the stars, enjoying the show.

Saw Angie A. perform solo acoustic (on a living room set, with rug, couch and lamp) long ago in Chattanooga, before the hit single, etc. Very entertaining.

Rhonda Lu said...

Long live KC and the Moonshine Band! Sorry I haven't sent the pics from my camera yet....the last 24 hours have been crazy, including taking care of a sick boyfriend. They are blurry anyway. Let's go out again soon :) I heart you!

emmysue said...

123 like a bird I sing, 'cause you've given me the most beautiful set of wings.

Muah-ha-ha!

Mary Anna said...

While I could virtually care less about Mr. Chesney, I'm glad you had a fabulous time. And I hope you're having a good week in general. I'll miss you this weekend while I'm suffering in the sun, surf and sand!

MamaB said...

Spontaneous---did you say "Spontaneous"----Way to go Amanda!!!! And please don't reveal your "inside source"!!!

Rhonda Lu said...

I believe Miss Mary Anna Brown means she could NOT care less?