Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ides say: Beware!

Beware the ides of March.
That's today. I don't know why I have always carried that quote from Shakespeare's Julius Caesar with me, but every year, on March 15th, I remember that it's the Ides of March. We studied Julius Caesar in my sophomore English class, and I always remember that line is spoken by the Soothsayer (this is for you Tadd: Sooth. I say it. I say sooth. I'm a soothsayer.) also known as a fortune teller or prophet. And he tells Caesar to watch out on March 15th, because something bad is about to happen. For example, he winds up being betrayed and murdered. I'd say our boy Julius should have listened more in English class and paid attention when March 15th rolled around. Otherwise the story might have turned out much differently.

Out of curiously ('cause I'm curious like a cat- "that's why my friends call me Whiskers")- I checked wikipedia for further info on the history if this forboding day.

A day in the Roman calendar, that marked the approximate middle of the month, i.e., the fifteenth day in the months of March, May, July, and October, and the thirteenth day in the other eight months. The word ides comes from Latin, meaning "half division" (of a month).


So now you know. Beware.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, why did shakespeare single out march? why not beware the ides of october (wouldn't halloween be something to fear)? or even "the day of the dead?" i fear that way more than march 15th. that's my cousin's birthday, not a day of fear.
~ari