Friday, March 30, 2007

Cliche a Day: March 30th

It's been a while since we've had one of these posted on here for your education/entertainment. Today's phrase is one I find myself using frequently in my writing, due to my obsessive compulsive nature to employ rhyming phrases. And also due to my nature to use cliches, which is perhaps why Ariana felt the need to give me this calendar. hmm...

in like Flynn
to be accepted by the group without question; to have a sure thing

Errol Flynn, a successful movie star/sex symbol of the 30's and 40's, was involved in a sensational trial in which he was accused of having sex with two underage girls on a boat. When Flynn was found not guilty, the phrase "in like Flynn" became part of the popular vocabulary, the phrase suggesting that his acquittal was based on his popularity and celebrity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

doesn't it seem funny that the 30's and 40's had a "sex symbol?" that just struck me as odd.
~ari

MamaB said...

I never knew the origination of that saying--so thanks for that little tidbit of information.