Tuesday, September 05, 2006

the anti-laborious weekend

This weekend was a long one- and by long I mean both in reference to the extra day off we had for Labor Day but also long in that not much happened and it was relaxed and lazy. I spent most of the weekend in bed reading or sleeping thanks to my seasonal allergies (or was it the air quality, MA?), so thank you, Tennessee for that. You know me, I had plans out the wazoo but canceled many of them in order to rest up and listen to my body for a change instead of needlessly running myself ragged.

Some highlights of the weekend included:

*Going to the Ravenwood-Franklin football game Friday night- my first football game of the season, and I met a really sweet lady who sat next to me. She goes to Brentwood Baptist, and when she remarked that she didn’t know the song the marching band was playing at halftime, I told her it was Brad Paisley’s newest song since she goes to BBC and she had told me she’d never heard of Brad Paisley before he sang at church the Sunday before. Ravenwood lost. Boo.

*Finally watching The Graduate to see what all the fuss was about

*Laying out at the Aspen Grove (aka @ss grabber’s) pool with the gals

*UT winning their first game

*Kentucky losing their first game

*The wine & cheese party/ movie night at Lana’s. What could be better than some 2 buck Chuck, really “gouda” cheese, and swooning over Mr. Darcy?

*Speaking of Darcy, FR Natalie has invited us to be a part of her and Emily’s new workout and eating regiment- The Darcy Plan. This started yesterday for Sarah, Lana, and me.

*Joining the Y- pretty soon I’ll be fit as a fiddle. I don’t really know what this expression means, but I’m sure anyone with some free time on their hands and a hankering for useless knowledge could google this and share with the rest of us.

Happy Tuesday, Kids!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, if you're gonna just call me out right in front of everyone, I guess I have to respond...

Courtesy of: www.phrases.org.uk/meanings
via ask.com ---

What is the origin of the phrase "fit as a fiddle"?
==================================
Meaning

Very fit and well.

Origin

Of course the fiddle here is the colloquial name for violin. Fit didn't originally mean healthy and energetic, in the sense it is often used nowadays for the inhabitants of gyms. When this phrase was coined fit was used to mean 'suitable, seemly', in the way we now might say 'fit for purpose'.

Thomas Dekker, in 'The batchelars banquet', 1603 referred to 'as fine as a fiddle':

"Then comes downe mistresse Nurse as fine as a farthing fiddle, in her petticoate and kertle."

Not long afterwards, in 1616, there's W. Haughton's 'English-men for my Money', which includes:

"This is excellent ynfayth [in faith], as fit as a fiddle."
===================================

Hope you, your petticoate, and your kertle are all well, mine fair mistresse Nurse. And yonder do I go, off in searcheth of mine newest questeth.

I thinketh. :)

-E-

Anonymous said...

yeah...sounds restful. you didn't do anything at all.
~ari