Tuesday, July 25, 2006

direct spending proportions: money & friends

Why does being social always have to include eating? I’ve developed this very bad habit of multi-tasking with my visits. I also don’t think I’m alone in this. Somehow along the way, we’ve come to rely on lunches and dinners as combined efforts to get our daily intake of calories while catching up with friends. It’s gotten to the point now that rarely do I hang out with a friend and we Don’t eat! I guess I’m paying attention to it now b/c I’ve started to write down everything I spend, and I’m finding that a good chunk of my income goes to eating out. I then try to rationalize it & say that this meal was an exception, because I hadn’t seen Ari since she switched jobs. And then This meal was a rare occasion b/c it was with my sister, who I rarely get to see one-on-one. And then this other lunch doesn’t really count b/c it’s with my friend Ann who leaves for Ohio next week, so when else would I get to see her?! Every week is starting to look like this though- and while I still maintain that a girl’s gotta eat, there must be some way to do it less expensively, and still spend quality time with the people we love! Does every single one of our social outings now involve food though? Can people not just get together and take a walk, or sit somewhere and talk without spending any money? Before I never paid any attention, and this was all well and good before I started working on my budget, but now that I’m conscious of where my money is going I feel trapped in a societal norm that says you have to spend money to spend time with friends!

4 comments:

emilyb said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I haven't figured this one out yet. If you do, let me know.

Anonymous said...

i'm very aware of this, however, i'm not seeing the problem. it's like combining 2 of the greatest things in the world...friends and food. issues? nope...none here.
~ari

Mary Anna said...

My friends in college and I always debated this dilemma. Thing is, if you want to get out of the house and go somewhere to have good conversation, it means going somewhere where food/coffee is sold.

I'm going to open a place that's called "Sit and Talk for Free." Wait---I think there's this thing called "the park" that already meets this need...

But what about in the wintertime???

Lisa T. said...

well...food and fellowship naturally go together. it's the Baptist thing to do! my advice is to go with it and just order a kids meal here and there: the portions are smaller and you save a ton!
since you pretty much know you're gonna see friends and eat- just budget for it- and try to scrimp somewhere else.