Thursday, May 11, 2006

Cirque du Snore'

Last night I took Mom to see Cirque du Soleil Delirium as a birthday present. Rhonda and Em also went, so I'm curious to hear their take on the show. I'll admit, I was interested to see what all they hype was about with these multimedia performances, but I didn't know much about it. I knew there would be music, lights, and acrobatics, along with over-the-top costumes. I could not have predicted however how new-agey it would really be, and how the droning drum beats and unitelligable lyrics would put me straight to sleep! I'd nod off to a blue screen with a bright blue orb hovering over the stage and wake up to have people floating in white fabric and twirling around. Then I'd go back to sleep and awaken to find a woman spinning multiple hoola hoops around her. The 4 guys doing the acrobatics and gymnastics that I awoke in the middle of was pretty amazing but my eyelids were so heavy by that point in the show that it was pointless to try and act like I was paying attention so I just closed my eyes again! I bet that was seriously the single most expensive nap I have ever taken!
The opening act was enough to set the scene that I shoudl have realized what I was going to be in for that evening- a European singer/songwriter by the name of Nitza- as in- we are the Knights who say Niiiiitza!!! She gyrated and bellydanced while she yodeled to her mohawkwed percussionists and Citar player's music. I think I payed enough attention to give you a quick recap and impression of her performance:

"Thank you. Thank you. You are so kind (only because I know you are not leaving because you payed good money to see the main act...) My next song is called, this sounds like every other song I have performed so far."

At least after seeing this show I can answer the burning question that everyone has been wanting to know- what happened to Scary and Baby Spice? They or their Bizaro-twins are apparently touring with this Cirque production!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, i'm sorry i missed that.
~ari

emilyb said...

I liked it. I, too, nodded off a couple times in the middle (in between gymnasts), but then again when do I NOT nod off? I admit it was weird and a little boring at times. But I'm easily entertained. I could appreciate the creativity...even though I had no idea what story they were trying to tell. I still want to see one of the "real" Cirque shows (as opposed to the musical one).

Mary Anna said...

All I'm sayin' is we need a girls trip to Vegas at some point in the future, whether it be next year or ten years from now.

Just sayin's all!

MamaB said...

MA--I'm in on that trip to Vegas--just let me know when!!
Thanks for the birthday present Amanda and I liked it even though I didn't understand much of what was going on!! And I can't wait for my new "Nitza" Cd for Mother's Day!!

ellen said...

Sorry Cirque was such a disappointment...that road trip does sound great Mary Anna!

nitza said...

Mama B...

I missed last Mother's Day, but if I remember, I'll autograph a copy and send it along to you :)

nitza