Thursday, September 08, 2005

blind as a... something

If any of you receive any emails from me loaded with typos today, it's because I accidentally left my glasses at home. I can already tell it's going to be a fun day at work, provided my face is 2 inches from my computer monitor. I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, though usually I am too vain and too annoyed to wear them unless I am reading or working at my computer. So I thought I'd do a bit of research this morning- are bats really blind?

Well, as it turns out, no they are not! Yahoo writes to June in Granville, OH (because apparently Yahoo is like Mr. Goodwrench and is omnipotent and is all things to all people) that while all bats can see, some aren't exactly eagle-eyed (which brings me to my next follow-up point: do eagles really have superb vision, and will eating carrots really help your eyesight ala Peter Cottontail?). Bats have this nifty device that aid in their ability to "see" in the dark, so while their vision isn't the best in the world (like the eagles and rabbits), they do take advantage of echolocation- the ability to bounce sounds off an object, including prey, to determine its size, shape, and location. So where's my nifty extra-sensory device this morning??? Looks like I'll be making a trip back home on my lunch break.

7 comments:

Mark Kelly Hall said...

I can hear it now...

"What's that high-pitched noise coming from Amanda's cubicle?"

"Oh, she forgot her glasses today."

Anonymous said...

as long as you don't mistake your computer mouse for lunch, i think you'll be fine.
~ari

Amanda said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Toby Maguire said...

"I can't Seabiscuit out there!"

Anonymous said...

Actually Amanda, eagles have excellent vision. Picture a discovery channel special showing an eagle diving from high up in the air and catching a fish in a beautiful mountain stream. The eagle caught the fish becuase it could see it from its position hundreds of feet up in the sky.
--Laura

Tadd said...

Amanda

You email people from work a lot? How is it that I never get emails from you? Hm? Well? I'm waiting.....

Anonymous said...

She can't see her computer and she drives home to get her glasses?

Notify the authorities, and stay off the sidewalk... :)

Glad I'm not near Nashville...

-E-