Thursday, July 28, 2005

the best laid plans

So yesterday Lana (which we recently discovered is 'anal' backwards) and I had plans to go walking at Radnor Lake after work. Well in case you didn't notice, it happened to pour down rain yesterday afternoon. Or in case you don't live in the Nashville vicinity, it poured down rain yesterday. And by 5 o'clock, while it wasn't raining anymore, it sure looked like it ws going to any minute. (Ok, let's be honest- we were looking really hard for an excuse not to go walk!) So Lana and I debated: to walk or not to walk, and then she tells me about a friend from Lexington who was in town for a work conference. He wanted to see her, and she really didn't feel like going out to eat with just him, so what did we do? Well of course we had to be good friends to Lexington Boy, so we canceled our plans to walk, and graciously offered to have dinner with him and his coworker. I know what you're thinking- how generous were we to give up our exercise time to have yummy food with people we'll probably never see again! Skip forward to me and Lana back at the Penthouse.

"It's still light outside," I said to her. "Let's just go walk around the apartment complex."
So with our tummies full, we changed clothes and set out to walk. Only excepting we stopped into Rhonda's room and started looking at Rhonda's old pictures with her and John. The next thing I knew, I looked out the window and it was completely dark outside! Lana left soon after, and I marched into the living room, determied to do some form of physical activity. I popped in our Mari Windsor pilates video and made it through half of the (mere 20-minute) video before my energy was completely zapped, so I went to bed about 15 minutes later!

Isn't there some quote about the best intentions or the best-laid plans or something that applies to this story? I'm sure there is. If not, allow me to coin another one: Best intentions are, at best, just intentions. Sleeping and eating are much more fun. And you can quote me on that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

at least you're honest.
~ari

jillymae said...

*gasp* that completely surprises me that you don't know that quote and who wrote it, being the Lit buff you are...it's John Steinbeck, from Of Mice and Men (of course) "The best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray."

Amanda said...

see? I knew one of my faithful readers would know- call it team blogging if you will! I need to read Of Mice and Men- it's one of those classics I always meant to read, but never did.

Mary Anna said...

Actually, lit lovers, the phrase "The best laid plans of mice and men..." originated in a poem written by Robert Burns, titled "To a Mouse, On Turning Her Up In Her Nest with a Plough." It was written in a Scottish dialect and the original version sounded something like this:

The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley,
An'lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

What can I say...I had to write a paper on this poem in 11th Grade AP English!

Anyway, here's one for the masses...

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions..."

Where did that originate? Confucius? Buddha?

Amanda said...

Confucious say, Man who fart in church sit in own pew.

jillymae said...

dang it, Mary Anna, i thought i really knew something for once :0)

Confucius say Man who stand on toilet is high on pot.