Friday, June 03, 2005

Wild at Heat, Part Deux

Let me set the stage...I took the book Wild at Heart with me to the beach this weekend. I've read it before, but I wanted to read it again b/c (1) I want to read Captivating, and I thought it would be nice to read this one again first and (2) a group of guys at church just read it, so I thought if I wanted to discuss anything in this book with a boy, this would be a good time to do it since it's fresh on their minds. Sidenote: was it a coincidence that Wild-at-Heart-Brad started talking about it (insert dreamy sigh)? Just kidding...

Ok, so this morning several of us got together for breakfast to say goodbye to a young lady that works upstiars in the Provost's office. There was a good mix of genders, ages, races...some people I knew, some I didn't. Somehow we got to talking about football (and not just the fact the Vanderbilt is terrible at it). This older lady (in her mid-sixties) says, "Football is so dumb. I mean, think about it...it's a bunch of guys running around a field knocking each other over. It's such a childish thing really." My first thought was, "Well I happen to love football, and it's so much more than that." But my second thought (since I'm reading this book) was, "That's exactly the mindset that has caused men to lose their masculinity in society today. That's exactly what John Eldredge is talking about. We've told men it's bad to be aggressive - it's childish. Instead, be gentle...be nice...be pacifying...be a doormat." Those are all good qualities (except for the doormat), but do you think a girl wants to marry a guy that fits that description? Not I said the fly. Eldredge also makes a point, though, that men should not live vicariously through watching sports on TV - they should have an adventure of their own. But what's wrong with men being men? That's the part of God's image that makes them men. I don't know if I'm making any sense at all...it was just interesting to read this book and then right there in front of me was an example of what Eldredge meant. He said that every man desires a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue. Well I'm sorry, but it takes more than nice, gentle, and well-behaved to accomplish those desires.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Can I get an Amen, sister Emily?

What a great real-life example of what JE was talking about.

I personally am holding out for my Wild-at-Heart man, and thanks to our new friend Brad, we know that they exist!

Bethany Shea Roe said...

They absolutely exist!!! And I have the husband to prove it. Jordan (my husband) is absolutely amazing, and exhibits the perfect balance of how God created men to be! And God has incredible mates for every one out there!

daddy b said...

I'd like to stay and chat but right now I have to go pump some iron at the ole gym so my football pads will fit tighter this season. It also helps me in my rock climbing and hang gliding. Well better jump on the ole Harley and get at it..

At least the Harley part is reality.

Kobosky262 said...

I will take a man with a Harley and a spirit of excitement and raw power anyday. I love 'real' men! You go my sister!

ann said...

you know I read that book last summer and I loved it. However I let a certain Pirate in the show borrow it and now I will never see it again :(