Thursday, June 23, 2005

Order in the court

Why does the fun stuff always happen to Heather? Drama and excitement seem to follow this girl wherever she goes. Yesterday she was overjoyed as she pulled a special envelope out of her pile of mail. Flipping through the stack of his-and- her bills, junk mail, and coupons to local businesses that you never use- there it was. Though it was not your run-of-the-mill IRS refund check, publisher’s clearinghouse winning announcement, or a letter from a long-long friend. No, my friends, she got a request from the United States government… to fill out a questionnaire for potential jury duty.

“Thoughts of the Michael Jackson trial and the Pauly Shore movie were all I could think about,” she said excitedly. “It’s for a federal court so this could be a big capitol case,” she gushed. Only Heather would get excited about jury duty. “What about the kind of cases where they cut you off from society to prevent you from being influenced by the media,” I asked. “You know, where they make you all stay in a hotel and don’t let you watch tv.” “Do they take your cell phone?” She asked. Apparently that was the deciding factor to whether or not jury duty was all she had cracked it up to be. “If they took my cell phone I don’t know what I would do.” “This,” I added, “is blogworthy- you getting excited about serving jury duty!” Although in her defense (pun absolutely intended) it is something most people will never get to do, so I guess I can see her cause for enthusiasm. I’ll update you all on the outcome of her trial if she does indeed get called to serve her country in this unique way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so jealous. I would love to do jury duty. How do you picked to do it? I want in!
-Laura

Anonymous said...

someting i have said to myself many times before laura... for one, you must be registered to vote. that is where they take their jury pool from. secondly... it is just the good fortune of your name being "randomly selected" for duty. i pray for this good fortune to also come across your path. so, i sent in my questionnaire in the very next day... i am awaiting my fate. hey it's .40mile to drive there (for me.. that's 78 miles round trip/day) and 40 bones everyday you serve. i think i might quit my job... juror fo' life~ how awesome does that sound....??

Anonymous said...

someting i have said to myself many times before laura... for one, you must be registered to vote. that is where they take their jury pool from. secondly... it is just the good fortune of your name being "randomly selected" for duty. i pray for this good fortune to also come across your path. so, i sent in my questionnaire in the very next day... i am awaiting my fate. and amanda... i checked into the whole cell phone/sequestering thing before i sent that questionnare in... and no worries.(they say it's rare that a jury is sequestered.(and as we both know, rare things often happen to me :) i also found out it's .40/mile to drive there (for me.. that's 78 miles round trip/day) and 40 bones everyday you serve. i think i might quit my job... juror fo' life~ how awesome does that sound....?? ~heather, juror #9 (if i do serve, i want to be juror # 9, i think it sounds the coolest. you think we get to pick our numbers???)