Monday, June 27, 2005

non-dancing queen

I hate starting Mondays off on the wrong foot, but the end of my weekend sent the beginning of my week into “wrong-side-of-the-bed territory.” I had the worst call-back audition of my life last night, following a particularly bad call-back a few weeks prior, so I’m batting a thousand as far as those go lately. Basically I have just learned a hard lesson. I should have taken dance classes over the years. Those that I took when I was 4 with Miss Cathy don’t seem to count- even though I looked particularly cute in my Donald Duck dance outfit (my dad would especially agree!).

I’ve realized that my singing can only get me so far- and even my acting- but that the deciding factor when doing musical theater auditions is the way you move on stage, and how quick you can learn dance combinations. This is a little disheartening as I’m only just now coming to this realization, a little late in life. At those callbacks last night I felt like a girl from the trailer park touring a million dollar home- wanting to live in one of those homes but facing the stark reality that she’ll never be able to afford it without a little work. It made me long for the days of opera when I could just stand there and sing pretty.

But what’s an aspiring actress to do? She’s buying tap shoes, for one.

6 comments:

daddy b said...

You have to dance with the one who brung ya.. which in your case is your beautiful voice. Nuff said.

Anonymous said...

Amanda- You are an amazingly accomplished singer and nothing in the world will ever change that. Who cares if you can't dance, your voice will make up for it. Plus you should stick with opera; your voice was made for it.
I love you!
~Laura

MamaB said...

God gave you your talent--what you have to do is find the best way to use it and be happy at the same time---whether it be singing or writing or performing or all of these gifts. Some things come easier than others for you--but you CAN do whatever you choose to do--just figure it out!! Jeremiah 29:11

Anonymous said...

I mean, I guess it all depends on what kind of dancing you're doing... cuz if it's the "Looking cute while in your best friend's wedding and dancing with the Bible-reading guy", then I say you are gettin' it done, sistuh, gettin' it done... :)

-E-

Mary Anna said...

Dancing-Schmancing...remember that anyone can learn how to dance, but your voice and your ability to sing beautifully is a gift. I'd say you got the longer end of the stick...keep your chin up!

Anonymous said...

jeeze, i was going to say something sweet and uplifitng, but now i don't have to. flame on!
~ari