Thursday, June 30, 2005

!

"I love you period. Do you love me question ma-ark? Please! Please! Exclamation point. (I wanna hold you) in parentheses."

Punctuation is a funny thing. And lately I’ve found myself addicted to the exclamation point! It shows excitement, and enthusiasm; my genuine interest, and communicates my good mood. But I find myself writing notes to customers at the ends of orders and ending them in exclamation points:

Thank you for your order!
Let me know if I can do anything else for you!
Your rep is Amanda, ext 3324!
Email address is as follows!

Ok, maybe that’s a bit hyperboles- exaggerated, if you will.
But it makes me think of Meg Ryan in “You’ve Got Mail” where she goes off on young girls with one name, like Kimberly. “Hi, I’m Kimberly!” Have I become That Girl- the one who is obnoxiously chipper? “Hi, I’m Amanda!” At least in writing, I fear I might be. I re-read my notes, and worry if I appear too excited, so I tone down my narratives with a smattering of periods; the boring dot that has no emotion. In this way I try to avoid becoming an offender of the “using too many exclamation points” disease. But sometimes an extra one slips out into my writing. But I don't care, because I have a four-day weekend ahead of me! And a SOGWEAW lunch! And friends and family coming into town! And Emily returning on Monday! Who could possibly begrudge me my exclamation point today I ask you?

2 comments:

Mary Anna said...

I have a good friend who LOVES exclamation points!!!!!!!!! and question marks????????? and keyboard faces :) :( :P ;) :|

It's incredibly annoying to get an email from her, only to have to wade through the !?!:) littering her email.

I make fun of her openly. I will say however, I'm a big fan of the ellipsis... I wonder sometimes if I abuse the ellipsis...

Moderation anyone?!?!?!?!?!? :P ;)

Tadd said...

Yeah, you really need to save those and just use them for emphasis. Here is an example from my life recently. I was with my family sitting in a movie theatre in Florida. It was before the movie started and they were showing local adds and stuff on the screen. Anyway, it seemed like every single add had a phrase with an exclamation mark after it, even when it didn't make sense. My family and I noticed at about the same time and it got really funny to us. We started saying the phrases out loud as if they were an actual exclamation. It was pretty funny. I think we were probably pretty loud but we had a good time with it. "We enjoyed it." So, yeah, save those puppies for when you really need them!!!

P.S. I have a new post! It's a miracle.