Friday, April 22, 2005

What IS it with people and their pets?

I’m an animal lover. I break for birds (and even got a ticket one time from this evil police officer even though I was sobbing after a bird had hit my windshield on the BG Parkway). I teared up on a hayride my freshman year in college because I had never been that close to a cow and I thought they were so cute. I gravitate towards greeting cards with animals on them, and I love to cuddle with fury (friendly) critters. But even I can see the ridiculousness of people who spend as much on their pets as they would a child.

Flipping channels one day I happened to see everyone’s favorite newlywed couple on MTV with their little fluffy frou-frou dog. Jessica took the dog to Louie Vitton to buy a larger carrying case for the canine, and wound up with a matching collar and leash to boot. Nick made the comment that “it’s sad when the cheapest thing in the equation is the dog.”

And today at work, on a much lesser scale of outlandish spending on pets, a girl brought her 7-week-old Chihuahua in (named Oliver Sanchez) with a necklace on that she had bought at the trendy Village boutique Pangea! For one, it’s a boy dog! (True, it was a blue beaded necklace) But two, Pangea, are you kidding me? Does anyone else besides me think it’s pretentious to buy jewelry for your pet from one of the trendiest stores in Nashville? I’ll admit, Oliver (Clothesoff) does look mighty cute trotting around the office in his little accessory, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one day we discover that Mr. Sanchez is a flaming metrosexual.

5 comments:

daddy b said...

While I do see your point, and agree also.. but aren't you the same person whom since you were old enough to walk, dressed you dogs in leg warmers, shirts , sunglasses, hats..not to mention their own swim suits and Halloween costumes? " Hey pot! This is kettle."

Tadd said...

I loved the (Clothesoff) part. That was my favorite. I agree with you, Utte (Russ). People need to get a life.

Mr. Roboto said...

Did Oliver get his nails trimmed?

Tadd said...

What's up with no posts lately???

Amanda said...

I dressed the dogs up in clothes I already had- I did not make a spcial trip to a jewewlry boutique and buy my dog a Human necklace- there is a difference