Friday, April 15, 2005

out with the old, in with the new

Thank goodness for Fridays, and sunshine, and spring weather. My sparkle-meter is running low on fuel, but the angry masses are complaining that there was no blog yesterday (the angry masses of course, being my father). So here goes nothin’. There are 2 shows left of Pirates. On one hand I am so totally excited that my life will be returning to some semblance of normalcy. I will have more than one free night during the week. I will be able to focus more on my small group. I will be able to get outside and do athletic things, and heck, even just be outside when it is still light outside.

However, the end of a show is always sad. For 4 months now I have seen this group of people, my fellow cast members and crew, almost every day, and now after Saturday there are many of them that I may never see or work with on a show again! You form all these theater bonds and friendships, and suddenly just when you start to feel close, the performance run is over.

Case in point. There is one pirate who I thought was flamboyantly obnoxious at first, and thought to myself, what a drama queen- there is no way that he and I will be friends. And now, he is still flamboyant, but he does my hair every night, and we bonded the night he told me of his (honest-to-God) miraculous healing from spinal meningitis.

Another girl, my pal Ann, was introduced to me by our mutual friend Tadd. One day I had a costume emergency and the props lady said, “Amanda, who is your best friend in the cast?” because we needed another girl to aid in the fixing of the blue dress (“Where’s my blue dress? Where’s my blue dress? It’s not here, it’s not here!” “I told you to lay off the cheesy poufs.”) “Ann,” I said, without hesitation. “Awww, I’m your best friend in the show?” she said. That was our bonding moment.

Anywho- and by the way- I think that word is completely obnoxious, but it fits the mood I’m in this morning- for 4 months I have become a character, rearranged my life to fit around this character, and suddenly it’s all about to end. I hate saying goodbyes, and I hate change. I realize it’s inevitable, and that change is often a good thing, but it still doesn’t make the actual transition of changing any easier. I wish time could just fast-forward through all of that icky-transitional garbage, and suddenly, you are in your new phase of life- your new job, your new house, your new relationship, without actually having to experience the loss of one thing to gain another. A thought though- without experiencing loss, you could never experience the giddiness and excitement of starting something new either. True, the times in our lives that are upheaveled by change are the exciting times. Everything else is humdrum, routine, and boring. (Ann, that’s my deep thought for the day) So I will do my best to finish the show Saturday night sans-tears, but no promises there.

The moral of the story is that yes, change sucks. We are creatures of habit. But that it is the change that makes up appreciate the newness in life, and forces us to see what we gain by giving up the old.

3 comments:

ann said...

I love you Amanda!!! You are great. I am so happy that I have gotten to know you through this show because we all know that the opera didn't count!!

MamaB said...

Yes, change is good but I am really, really sad that Mabel is gone from the stage---just finished watching the last performance and it makes me sad too. I feel like I know these people too after seeing 4 performances. But out with the old and on with the new...what's next dear daughter???Sandy, Belle???

Mark Kelly Hall said...

Really enjoyed the show Friday night! This from a person who hates opera, especially if it's in English (seems even sillier to me then); if that bothers you...remember, I'm an orphan. Of course it helped that the diva on stage getting most of the attention is a friend of mine.

I did find out that in a very small theater, it's best not to wait until near the end of intermission to go to the restroom...I was stuck on that side of the room for the rest of the time, so I enjoyed a different perspective than I intended.

I kept thinking "this must be where Monty Python got most of their inspiration."

Amanda, I know that this post-production period will be a tough time for you, but I'm sure that if your roommates are awakened late at night to find you singing at the top of your lungs in your pajamas, they'll know you are "in transition." If they're especially understanding, they'll join in on the chorus.

Mark