Friday, April 08, 2005

Lover of all things pink Except...

The Pink Eye.

So I walked into the theater last night and Iain, my Scottish director pulled me aside very seriously and said, Ricky’s sick. Much to my chagrin, he told me that Ricky has strep throat (!) and pink eye (double !). Iain bought alcohol swabs and hand sanitizer, and told Ricky not to come to the theater until close to 7 that night (The show starts at 7:30, but call for the rest of us is 5:30). Not to belittle the seriousness of strep throat because I definitely don’t want that, but I am horrified and disgusted by Conjunctivitis, otherwise known to the layperson as pink eye. I contracted this dreadful taboo disease my senior year in high school from a guy I was dating at the time. The focker gave me pink eye after hanging out for the first time and eventually skipped out on my birthday party a few weeks later- the relationship fizzled shortly thereafter, but I did manage to keep his copy of Barber’s Adagio for Strings and it is the best recording of it I have ever heard. I consider it the spoils of the relationship. He gives me pink eye, I keep his limited edition Sony Classics Royal edition of a Bernstein recording.

Next to lice and worms, both of which I have been fortunate enough to never have, pink eye is third on my list of diseases that completely gross me out. I think I missed school for 3 or 4 days with pink eye my senior year because of the contagiousness of this wonky-eye-causing plague. Plus your eye gets all pink (imagine that), swollen, and cruddy. It’s absolutely nasty, and I refuse to be seen in public with it. Call me vain or considerate, but either way, you won’t see me out and about if I do end up catching this from Ricky.

Trust me, hands were washed excessively, I held my breath at every opportunity when on stage with him (but how hard this is when one is singing!), and wore my lace gloves the entire show as a protective shield. Not sure how effective any of that will be, but we’re popping vitamin c and Echinacea like it’s our job. And speaking of jobs, I must get back to mine.

Have a good weekend. Live long and prosper.

8 comments:

Tadd said...

That is sick! I agree. I had the luck to get pink eye once in middle school. All's I remember is that I woke up every morning with eyes that I could not open because they were crusted shut. I hope never to catch that again. Good luck with that. I also must say that I was shocked to see your Star Trek quote at the end of your post. Do you even watch Star Trek?

Anonymous said...

ok people, if bradley isn't going to say it, i will. this is huge news and she is completely leaving it out, so i will do my duty as a diva and tell you what is going on in the world (btw, bradley, i hope your co-star gets better). anyway, kelenna azubuike of the kentucky wildcats (junior) decided this week to try his hand at the nba camps to be held this summer. most uk fans were under the assumption that, following the lead of former uk player keith bogans, buike was just getting some helpful pointers for his game before next season. unfortunately, our lovely-armed 3-guard decided yesterday to join forces with an agent (not like the matrix) and is now inelligible to play college basketball ever again. this is serioulsy sad stuff (how's that for alliteration?). i'm sorry i had to break this to you all, but there it is. the sad, awful truth. ok, you can go on with your lifes. your faithful diva, ari

Amanda said...

Tadders, that Star Trek quote was just for uou, but NO, and that is an emphatic NO, I do Not watch star trek.

BTW, crusty or crusted, when referring to eyes is just gross.

also BTW, My friend Liz saw Kellena Azubuike at Keeneland today (the horse races in Lexington) with Josh Carrier and Matt Heizenbuttel. Looks like his value has already dropped considering the crew he's running with these days.

Audrey said...

Back in the summer of '02 I had to visit a Longview, TX, emergency room due to Conjunctivitis (something about out-of-state insurance). The big problem came when I donned my eyeglasses for that evening's pool party. East Texas...pool party...mid-July...eyeglasses... -"one of these things just doesn't belong!"

Audrey said...

Back in the summer of '02 I had to visit a Longview, TX, emergency room due to Conjunctivitis (something about out-of-state insurance). The big problem came when I donned my eyeglasses for that evening's pool party. East Texas...pool party...mid-July...eyeglasses... -"one of these things just doesn't belong!"

Jenni said...

conjuctivitis, which is usually caused by a strep related bacteria, is VERY contagious and should be treated with great caution. i,myself have had pink eye several times, and being a visually impaired person of the vain variety, have had to discard of several sets of contact lenses to rid my orbits of the offending organism. the best advice i can give to one who is exposed to the ugly infector is: wash your hands! use a hand sanitizer (pretty smelling ones are available at VS or bath and body works) also, if you suspect that your eyes are irritated, throw your lenses away and start all over. that's all from jenni's nurse corner :-)

jillymae said...

i still think there should be a kiss at the end of P.O.P. when Ricky gets well. it almost seems a little anti-climactic without it. hey, maybe you could get the Johnny Depp-a-like hottie Gevin to stand in for it! ;)

Amanda said...

I don't kiss gay men... oh wait....