Thursday, April 21, 2005

Just the facts, Ma'am

Well, as several of you pointed out, I was so focused on getting my information for the new pope correct that I failed to take the time to find out exactly who the president was at my time of birth (Now think for a minute if it Were Lyndon Johnson though! If he had been president since 1963 and was just now keeling over- can you imagine the shape this country would be in?). I figured I must need a little refresher history course and would humor the rest of you with my findings. I wanted to research my confused P’s of the US of A’s and find out first and foremost, When they were in office, and secondly, What they did while they were in office. Most of what follows is paraphrased and quoted from the Grolier’s online dictionary.

First, Lyndon Baines Johnson.

LBJ became the 36th president of the United States on the assassination of John F. Kennedy on Nov. 22, 1963. A skilled promoter of liberal domestic legislation, he was also a staunch believer in the use of military force to help achieve the country's foreign policy objectives. His escalation of American involvement in the Vietnam War eroded his popular standing by deflecting attention from domestic concerns, resulting in sharp inflation, and prompting rising criticism, especially among young, draft-aged people. Escalation also failed to win the war. All of this led to his decision not to run for reelection to the presidency in 1968.

Some important highlights of Johnson’s presidency:

*Civil Rights Act in 1964
*Medicare program
*The Voting Rights Act of 1965
*Vietnam war escalation

Richard M. Nixon followed LBJ at the next president in office, and we all know what happened There- no confusing old Tricky Nicky!

And now moving forward twenty years, James Earl Carter served from 1977 to 1981 as the 39th president of the United States.

Jimmy Carter was a renowned southern Baptist, and a deeply and openly religious man. He had focused his campaign on government failures rather than on programs and policies, stressing a commitment to human rights and an open foreign policy, discussing issues usually reserved for private diplomatic sessions. Many applauded the change, but his openness sometimes created diplomatic problems abroad. The main source of difficulty for the Carter administration was the economy. Unemployment decreased during the first half of Carter's term, but inflation rose sharply and was a serious political liability during his second two years. The Republican nominee, Ronald Reagan, successfully built inflation and the fear of U.S. military weakness into the major campaign issues, and he easily defeated Carter in the Nov. 4, 1980, presidential election. In the last month of Carter's administration negotiations with Iran, through Algerian intermediaries, finally produced freedom for the hostages in Tehran. They were released on Jan. 20, 1981, as Reagan was inaugurated.

Some important highlights of Carter’s presidency:

*U.S. boycott of the 1980 Olympic Games in Moscow
*Iranian hostage crisis
*Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, so an embargo was placed on SU

All right, well now that we have that cleared up, there is one more mystery. Anonymous poster who goes by the alias letter E, show yourself! Could it be one Knoxville resident who shall be known forever more in the wedding scrapbook of Heather and Jacob as Tulle-Pac?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you are using your time wisely. I wish that I could be so lucky to sit at a computer all day, but no! I get to wait on every freaking redneck in the middle tennessee area. I love my job so much! Is it too much to ask that some decent people go out to eat every now and then?

Anonymous said...

Signed posts do not an anonymous user make...

-E- is my preferred moniker, my "street name", what my people call me. Unfortunately, I have had several nicknames during my time on this earth (read: Since Nixon was POTUS).

"E-Rodge" seems to be a favorite among sorority women for some reason.

"Big Bolshoi" amongst my brethren from the former Soviet Union (Belarus, Russia). It loses a bit of its sex appeal when you find out that "Bolshoi" is merely the Russian word for "Big". So, accurately, "Big Big" is what they were calling me... And now, the Bolshoi Theatre has lost some of its sex appeal with that revelation, hasn't it?

But -E- it is for me, the E-asiest and best. Tulle-Pac, out....

-E-