Thursday, April 07, 2005

Ho_y Mo_ey!!

On my way to lunch today I told Ariana and Angela, I’m in a giddy mood. I feel like laughing. I hope we laugh a lot at lunch today.

We got on the subject of accents because I had a lady from California tell me on the phone today that I have one. "Where are you from," she said, "because you have an accent." She didn’t say it in an accusatory manner, but at the same time, I got defensive when I mentioned this customer’s comment to Joel and Ari. You DO have an accent Joel said. Come on, the guy’s from Texas. (Tex-@ss!) Your’re telling me that people from Texas don’t have accents? So a group of us are at lunch at Mexicali Grill (mmmmmm) and still talking about accents, when Ari and I tell everyone about a girl we went to school with at UK (yeah thanks I’m fine).

Michelle Napier was Miss Belle County Kentucky, a shady Pi (sorry Mary Anna!), gorgeous, but she knew it unfortunately, and had one of the thickest accents I have Ever heard. (Belle County is eastern Kentucky for your own point of reference; these are the mountain people.)

I had the pleasure of having several music classes with Michelle (prounounced Mee-Shay-ale)(and I’m not kidding), one of which was Vocal Diction. In diction we as singers learned the international phonetic alphabet (IPA for short), which is a bunch of symbols and letters for each vowel and consonant sound. The idea is if you know all the IPA symbols, you can read and pronounce words in English and any other language, even if you don’t necessarily speak the language. It sounds way more complicated than it is, I promise.

One day while working on English diction, we were IPA-ing the word “walk.” This word gave Michelle some trouble because the way she pronounces that word, she puts a Giant L in the middle of it. ie. Wa-LL-k. I explained to the lunch table today that of course the L was silent, and so for Michelle English diction in general was a real nightmare due to her thick southern accent. Joel promptly pointed out that I too have a southern accent (I still don’t see it, but whatever). "Yes," I say, "but mine’s not that bad."

What transpired next was everyone at the table laughing at the preposterous idea of a silent L. "He__o, _aura. You’re the Coo__est!" I was laughing so hard tears were welling up in my eyes, but I still maintained that there is such a thing as the Silent L! Meanwhi_e everyone e_se had a fie_d day saying Joe_ and Ange_a, and go to he__.

However, not too _ong after _unch I received this emai_ from Joe_ titled Ho_y Mo_ey:

FULL CREDIT, Amanda! Look at that pronunciation!

-J

walk (wôlk, wôk)
v. walked, walk·ing, walks
v. intr.
1. To move over a surface by taking steps with the feet at a pace slower than a run: a baby learning to walk; a horse walking around a riding ring.
2.
a. To go or travel on foot: walked to the store.
b. To go on foot for pleasure or exercise; stroll: walked along the beach looking for shells.
c. To move in a manner suggestive of walking: saw a woodpecker walking up the tree trunk.
3. To conduct oneself or behave in a particular manner; live: walks in majesty and pride.
4. To appear as a supernatural being: The specter of famine walks through the land.
5. Slang.
a. To go out on strike.
b. To resign from one's job abruptly; quit.
c. To be acquitted: The alleged killer walked.
6.
a. Baseball. To go to first base after the pitcher has thrown four pitches ruled as balls.
b. Basketball. To move illegally while holding the ball; travel.
7. Obsolete. To be in constant motion.

Good to know. Now we can stop sending e-mai_s to one another.

4 comments:

Mary Anna said...

All of us "shady Pi's" are go-jus and don't you forget it!

ann said...

okay that whole silent L thing mad me think of Guffman
Corky is talking about trying out for My Fair Lady and he said he was practicing the whole silent H cockney thing.
"ello ow are ou"

Anonymous said...

i am astounded that you did not even mention yesterday's tragedy. you are NOT a true fan. ~ari

The Bluest of the Blue said...

I'm too upset to talk about it. Buike's gone. There. Are you happy?