Monday, April 18, 2005

ho-hum

I'm bored at work. I made my sales goal well before lunch and so have been slacking this afternoon because of it. I wish I were able to post pictures on here from work, but sadly that is not possible. The show is over, I am relieved to have some free time. Germany is a no-go, and tonight I'll be spending some time with the roommates watching either Wimbledon or Friday Night Lights...or BOTH- we just may be That crazy- who knows! The blog has been a little sporatic and dreary lately, so sorry about that. Maybe if I thought people were enjoying it and commenting more there'd be more of an incentive to write... but maybe if there were more interesting topics on here, more people would read and comment! ooohhh- now There's a Catch 22 if I ever heard one. Or read one I guess, if we're being technical. And we always are.

I still have yet to blog about the fantastic book I read, Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller. It is a great read, directed towards younger folks, but had so much great insight that I read it with a pen and bookmark in-hand so I could underline things as I went along. I started this book in January, put it down, and came back to it a few weeks ago and couldn't wait to read it and finish it. To anyone who is seeking examples of what it means to truly live out a life for Christ, this book puts things into perspective. One thing I will share is that the author told a story about one of his girl friends. This friend felt convicted about how much unnecessary clothing she bought, so she went an entire year without buying a single piece of new clothing to show herself- and others I suppose- how needlessly we as Americans spend our money. An entire year without buying clothes I thought. That would be an almost impossible thing for me to do- especially if one counts shoes and purses as clothing- but I decided to challenge myself and just see how long I could actually go without giving in or forgetting and buying clothes that I honestly don't need. It's been a few weeks so far, and so far so good. An interesting concept, so I'm intrigued to see what happens. How long will it take me before I feel like I HAVE to have a new pair of shoes? Or how long before I simply forget and purchase a new shirt? Those of you whom I live and work with can hold me accountable, okay?

Alrighty kids- happy Monday... it's almost time to bust out and get a healthy dose of sunshine! yippeee

5 comments:

daddy b said...

But it's okay if someone else chooses to buy you something new to wear isn't it??

ann said...

Not buying clothes for a whole year??? OH I HATE IT I HATE IT
I DON'T LOVE IT I HATE IT!!!

Tadd said...

I just have to say that Ann is so weird...in a good way. I'm glad you have free time. Sorry about Germany. That would have been cool. I met a German girl today on Campus randomly. I was wearing my "Everybody loves a German boy" T-shirt and that struck up a conversation. It was good to use my other degree for a change.

Tadd said...

And by degree, I mean the deoderant...

Amanda said...

Dad, to answer your question, yes, it is allowed if someone else buys you an article of clothing.

And Tadd- your shirt- I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I HATE IT but I LOVE IT!!

Ann T, I am missing you already, but not missing Iain's sappy speaches or letcherous ways.