Tuesday, April 19, 2005

hip-hop remixes disguised as complicated music theory lessons

Only you music people out there will appreciate this, but yesterday as I leave work, I’m in a great mood. It’s 5 o’clock (somewhere), the sun is shining, the windows are down, and I’m flipping channels on the radio to find some good drive-time music. Eventually the radio dial lands on 101.1 (the Beat Jams) and the DJ Butterfly mix. Well I don’t know what homegirl Butterfly thought she was doing, but she had somehow remixed the Destiny’s Child song “Naughty Girl” with a beat from another song that was in a completely different and, might I add, non-complimentary key. “It’s bi-tonal,” I thought, the music nerd coming out in me. But then the more I listened, the more horrified I became. Who decided this sounds good, I thought? Immediately I reached for the phone and speed-dialed Ariana, who was also in her car on her afternoon commute. “Turn on 101.1 right now,” I said. “I’m on it!” She exclaimed. “Dude, it’s in 2 different keys.” “It’s bi-tonal!” I exclaimed gleefully, happy that my expensive out-of-state-tuition education was coming in handy in life (if one considers applying music theory concepts to everyday life handy, which I do).

Ari and I talk animatedly over the terrible remix, wondering who in their right mind decided this debauchery of Beyonce was ear-pleasing, especially to the average Joe who’s not going to know or care about the bitonality. I was amused nonetheless. Who says rap and hip-hop aren’t viable genres of music? I mean, in all fairness, the complexity of this Destiny’s Child remix puts Hanson’s 3-chord Mmm-Bop to shame any day.

And have you heard? Backstreet’s back. As if they weren’t bad enough when they were young and cute, now they’re older and have matured as “musicians.” Riiiight.

6 comments:

daddy b said...

Hmmm, sounds to me like someone that has such a knowledge of music, should be creating some of her own..but my, where could she go to do such a thing? Maybe a studio. If only she knew someone that had one.

Adam said...

So from this blog I have recently learned that a man known here as "Daddy B" has a studio known here as "Soundshop." Maybe this man and his studio would like to hire my friends and me after our current employer, Emerald Studios, ceases to exist...

Anonymous said...

thanks for the shout out, bradley. i feel completely loved and a bit intelligent on this all-too-early wednesday morning. but, yes, folks, this induces a good lesson: just because it sounds different and hard to understand doesn't necessarily make it good. (cough...stanley kubrick)

Anonymous said...

I happen to enjoy the butter mix on 101. Sometimes its a bit sketchy but overall it helped me get through my 40 minute drive back from Columbia everyday after class.
Your music illiterate sister:)

Anonymous said...

Before you make fun of me I misused the word illiterate wrong. I retract my comment and I am your musically challenged sister :)

Anonymous said...

what it the world is going on here? and who works at soundshop?

i think what happens on the butter mix is that ol girl just throws to songs together, and I think most of the time they are crap, but ever now and then she hits on one that is sheer bliss, and sounds even better than the original. how in the world did I stumble upon this blog.