Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Habemus papam

or … We have a pope.

Being that I’m half-catholic, I have been following this process and find it highly interesting. Today the cardinals, or Princes of the church, have ended their conclave in the Vatican and have chosen the next pope. The new pontiff is a German man by the name of Joseph Ratzinger; his new papal name is Benedict XVI. For many of us, we have never known another pope besides JPII. Think of it like this- what if Linden B Johnson (who was president when I was born) had been president all this time (Lord help us), and had just now become deceased, therefore vacating his position as president of the United States? That’s the closest way I can think of comparing it. For Catholics this must be even weirder to have a new Pope, but I am fascinated by the entire process.

Ratzinger is an older man, already 78. From the things I have read, it has been tradition to follow the lengthy reign of one pope with a shorter reign of another. For example, JPII followed a pope (Pius 23rd?) that was only pope for 2 weeks before he died. So what do we know about Ratzinger?

*He is an accomplished pianist who loves Mozart in particular

*He speaks several languages, including English, Italian, & of course, German

*Ratzinger chose the name Benedict, which comes from the Latin for “blessing”

And a quote from the pope, before he was elected, which defines his standpoint in the church:
“Having a clear faith, based on the creed of the church, is often labeled today as a fundamentalism, whereas relativism, which is letting oneself be tossed and ’swept along by every wind of teaching,’ looks like the only attitude acceptable to today’s standards…we are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one’s own ego and one’s own desires,” he warned.

Following is the text of Pope Benedict XVI’s first address to the world after being elected as pontiff on Tuesday. The new pope, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger of Germany, delivered the address in Italian from the central balcony of St. Peter’s Basilica:

Dear brothers and sisters,
After the Great Pope John Paul II, the cardinals have elected me, a simple, humble worker in the Lord’s vineyard.
I am comforted by the fact that the Lord knows how to work and act even with insufficient instruments. And above all, I entrust myself to your prayers.
With the joy of the risen Lord and confidence in his constant help, we will go forward. The Lord will help us and Mary his most holy mother will be alongside us.
Thank you.

Catholic or not, this is a major world event; one that could shape the views of Christianity in this new millenium.

“Viva il Papa!” or “Long live the pope!”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amanda and fellow DivaDomain followers,

Best friend Heather here...

I enjoyed your blog today, as I too am fascinated by the events that are shaping history right in front of us... I thought that you, along with your readers, would find these two internet sites interesting. The first one is an article written on April 8, the day Pope Jonh Paul II was buried. You'll find his commentary striking. A friend of mine emailed this over to me this morning, moments after I saw the words "Habemus papam" written across CNN's website.

The second website refers to the articles content.

I'll be interested in anyone's thoughts...

feel free to email me at heather23@gamil.com if the links don't pop up.

http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=43690

http://www.catholic-pages.com/grabbag/malachy.asp

Now... Amanda... Car 54.. I've waited a week and two days for your phone call... where are you?

Anonymous said...

Ummmmm... suffice it to say that while I don't know the specific date of your birth... I am going to put lots and lots of money down on the fact that Lyndon Baines Johnson was NOT President of These United States when you were born...

Lots of money.

Tons of it.

To the bank, I go...

-E-

Anonymous said...

I mean... it CAN'T be...

Maybe James B. Carter, or Richard B. Nixon, or Ronald B. Reagan...

Heck, maybe even George H.W.B. Bush... or William Jefferson B. Clinton...

Ok, my money is now not only on Johnson NOT being The Man, but on Jimmy Carter being the man... hmmmm... 1980... Reagan... nope, I'm going with Reagan... in a close one...

-E-

Jenni said...

I thought Jimmy Carter was president in November 1980, not Lyndon Johnson. For a second there I thought you were attempting to sound a lot older than you are :-) Instead I think you just forgot your US History ("Festering pus filled wound...")

Amanda said...

Hmm... I stand corrected- I guess I was too busy looking up facts on the new pope to worry with silly dates on American presidents! Yes Jenni, it was Cartner who was in office when I was born- for about 2 months until The Reagenomics took over. I mean, I knwo I'm older than most of you, but I'm not THAT old! :o)

MamaB said...

Amanda---Mrs. Baird would not be happy with that statement about Lyndon Johnson being president when you were born in 1980---in fact, I voted by absentee ballot in the hospital for Jimmy Carter who was beat by Ronald Reagan two days after you were born.....But thanks for the Pope information!

Tadd said...

Are you in hte least bit excited that the new pope is German? I think that is neat. FYI, the German word for pope is Papst.

Anonymous said...

Well, crud. I thought I was going to be the first jeenyus to post that Lyndon Baines "Big Daddy" Johnson was president when you were negative-16 years old. Give it up to our guy Jimmy "Whistlin' Dixie" Carter who was prez back in the early days of November 1980 until Ronald "The Rizzle Dizzle" Reagan beat the tar outta him.

Yes. Miss Bayrd would be very much unimpressed.

Here's my first post...though some would be very disappointed that I choose Pope "I Gave Up the GoodLife for This?" Benedict to instigate it, I need some outlet at 12:22am here.

Guess I won't see you this weekend. Me and my glasses will be crushed(just like in 8th Grade P.E.). Talk to you soon! Good Luck with the Opera Audition...let me KNOW!

Thomas

Anonymous said...

See, Amanda, you decried the dearth of activity on your little blog, and all you had to do was to go and make one teeny-tiny, infinitesimal, barely-noticeable (redundant, I know, back off) mistake of, oh, 12-16 years, and the Posters come out in force...

We pounce like a cougar on a wounded bunny. A Pink Bunny.

Yeah, I said it.

Sooooo.... you keep making those mistakes, and we'll be here. Faithful. Consistent. Ever-vigilant. Just waiting... waiting... for that moment that you err, so we can say "AH-HAH!!!! We've got her now..."

Good to know you're being watched so closely, eh?

-E-

Anonymous said...

Since we are on the subject Johnson and the subject of mistakes, would it be so crude and mean to point out that you misspelled his name too?
Linden... is actually Lyndon...

Sorry... it was way too enticing...

You know we love you,...

:)

Heather