Wednesday, March 30, 2005

movie reviews and thoughts on candy

Hotel Rwanda. Finally saw it- an incredible movie. No longer will I just think of Basher from Ocean’s 11 when I see Don Cheadle. Rather, this role will be his defining one I think. He plays a dignified hotel manager that becomes involved in housing Tutsi refugees during the civil war and genocide that took place in Kegali, Rwanda in 1994. The story is a true one, and accurately depicts what actually occurred over there just over 10 years ago. (wow… Clinton was president 10 years ago? I feel old!) I’m not sure if I agree with Thomas that it was the best movie of the year- although along with the Passion of the Christ, it made the biggest political statement. I’d definitely put Hotel Rwanda in my top 5 of the year though. Go see it, or add it to your upcoming Netflix rental queue. Bradley, Borders, and Walsh give it 2 thumbs up.

Jumping topics, does it make sense to anyone else that the sooner you eat all of your Easter candy, the sooner you can go back to eating healthy again? (Speaking of Eating Healthy- we 3 watched Super Size Me last week- also a Great Movie! Definitely rent this one- it is amazingly funny and scary at the same time to see what a high fat diet can do your body in a month’s time.) (Hearing his Mc-puns alone is worth the rental fee…. McGurgles… McFat…. McBrick). So what if I ate 3 bags of mini Cadbury eggs yesterday? That means I won’t eat them today! Those nasty chocolate temptations are out of sight, out of mind, and into my belly (which has to fit into a bathing suit in about a month). I know all the food conscious will say moderation is key, and you don’t have to deprive yourself of a treat, you just have to control the portions. Well all that goes out the window to me when I have a bag full of chocolate staring at me! In my little world, the sooner I eat all that candy, the sooner it is gone and won’t be there tempting me to eat it, right? Who’s with me on this one?

3 comments:

Stockwell said...

I totally agree. Everytime I find candy in the house I have to eat it right now. Even though it sometimes gives me the shakes, I still have to eat it before the far less sensitive nose of Oscar finds it too.. My favorite is Godiva.

Amanda said...

HA HA HA HA!!!
Whoever left that, tha is great! Sug strikes again...
yes, my dog likes to eat chocolate and then has adverse reactions to it in the middle of the night. These fits have, sadly enough, almost become routine because the dog finds food that's been left in paws' reach like it's his job.

Jenni said...

that seems to be a stockwell habit. this one has eaten all of the easter m&m's she bought, in addition to three reese's peanut butter eggs and half a batch of pastel frosted sugar cookies. the other half was eaten by the staff at the hospital, b/c this stockwell got a belly ache before she went to work and dumped leftovers on the already sugar high nurses. easter offically marks the end of candy season :-) now's it's time for salads and fresh foods! i hear spring coming now!