Tuesday, January 25, 2005

The Weekend, part 2

Broadway, Breakfast and Beyond

So where were we? Dinner is over, and we decide to head downtown to Broadway. The plan was to try out Red Iguana since only Rhonda had been there yet, but since it was too early to go there we made a coupla stops first. We decided to take the boys to a country bar since we were in Nashville after all. Em’s friend Carla was supposed to be at the Stage with some people (the same Carla who gave us misleading directions. Curses you misleader!). Well we never did see Carla there, but the place was packed and the band was great. They made my night by playing Rocky Top. That song never gets old to me (hence the previous post on why I love being a Tennesseean- just chalk that onto the list). But I realized halfway through the evening, that being that I have the black lung and pulled a Diva move by not singing at my Pirates rehearsal Friday night to save my voice, I was being slightly hypocritical (and stupid) for singing Rocky Top and Dixieland Delight at the top of my lungs. Oopsy. We hung out at the Stage for a while and then moved next door to- where else- our favorite place, Tootsie’s. This makes 3 weekends in a row. I’m beginning to wonder if the bouncers think we are stalking Jared Ashley. But they’d be wrong. It’s really Ranger Bob that we love so much. I was worried that James and Dion wouldn’t be quite so fascinated with Tootsie’s as we are, but they said on several occasions that they were having a blast.

"I didn’t have this much fun in Nashville the last time I was here," Dion said.
"Were you with band people," I asked?
"Yeah."
I rest my case.

Finally we all decided, what the heck, let’s try Red Iguana and see if it’s any fun. We are always looking for a great place to dance. The place was, well, all red. (Whadayaknow?) It was enjoyable enough; I’d go back I think. By the time we left though, downtown Nashville was covered in a thin layer of snow. The guys were total gentlemen and let us wear their jackets, and we all huddled close together to keep warm while making the trek back to the car.

Due to the obscene amount of snow on the roads the next morning (read: barely any), James and Dion didn’t get on the road quite as early as they’d anticipated. And that would be the understatement of the weekend I think. James missed work ("Well, I wouldn’t exactly say I’ve been missing it Bob.") and Dion missed the family’s going away party for his uncle who is going to be gone for the next 5 years… to prison. Only in Kentucky, that’s all I can say folks. But on the bright side, we three got to go to Pancake Pantry for a late breakfast.

"I thought you said it’s not far," Dion said as we’re driving.
"It’s not," I said. "But that doesn’t mean it’s close either."
I don’t think the two are mutually exclusive.
But the short drive to Hillsboro Village (or long, depending on who you ask) is well worth it. I cannot describe to you the amount of joy the Chocolate Sin pancakes bring to a person. It’s just something you’ll have to experience. So as we’re standing in line outside the place, I am doing my best to explain to my Lexington friends just what makes the Pancake Pantry worth standing out in the cold.

"It’s a Nashville tradition I exclaim!" my back to the restaurant. James then points out that it says exactly that under the sign: "Pancake Pantry, A Nashville Tradition."
"Well see, I couldn’t have planned that any better if I’d tried!"

Also while standing in line, James looked down and noticed on the sidewalk there was a kernel of corn (insert your pick of corny jokes here). (Hey, what else do you do while standing in line but make bad jokes?) (Ok then, what else would I do while standing in line besides make bad jokes?)
After the 2 hours it took James and Dion to decide what they wanted, and our bellies sufficiently filled, we headed back to the Penthouse to watch the Eagles-Falcons game. Well, Dion and Emily and myself watched the game- Rhonda and James took advantage of an early afternoon nap!

Finally around 6 o’clock that night, the boys reluctantly made their exit from the great state of Tennessee. Well, James was reluctant but Dion I think was just being a good sport by hanging out with us all day. But the gesture was certainly appreciated.
And my first question to James upon learning that they had made it back to Lexington that night: "so when are you coming back?" :o)

FYI, the Cats play the Vols tonight. Let it be known that though it has taken me several years to be able to say this and mean it, I am actually cheering against UT tonight. Ari, you'll make me an honorary Kentuckian yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THAT'S MY GIRL!!!! i'm so totally proud of you. fyi (all you basketball fans) UT gave louisville a good run for their money this weekend, so tonight's game should be interesting. on top of that, the game time has been moved up to 6 central time, so mark your calendars and plan your evenings accordingly. this'll be one for the books. ~ari

Amanda said...

FYI, we're ranked 6th now- how great is that?
(that's greeeeaaaaat)

Anonymous said...

Was at the game last night... UK is like a silent assassin, just doing all the little things right... brutal how they treated my Vols... like a rented mule...

Was wondering what to do with the girl who demands dryer sheets in her wardrobe room?

Amanda said...

Can it be? Is it him? The one and only Tulle-Pac-Shakur? here at my blog?
Yes, my Cats made me proud. I loved every minute of seeing them take down the Vols so handily at Thompson-bowling. Wish I could have been there with you to celebrate their win ;o)