Thursday, January 27, 2005

Twentysomething vs. Twentysomeone

What’s a Diva to do? The emails just keep coming this morning so I can’t seem to get any work done. I think my ideal job would be to get paid to blog and email and surf the net. Is anyone hiring for that position? (Buehler?) But between doing my actual job and responding to the insane amount of SOGWEAW emails and other non-work related stuff, I have to be responsible… and answer all of my emails first. I have my priorities straight! What if you’re in need of a witty comeback or someone to plan lunch for the girls? Who will do this if I’m unavailable? :o)

Seriously- I apologize for the shallowness of this site as of late, and so I’m going to try and redeem myself by offering a helpful thought for the day. In Bible study last night we listened to the 3rd cd in our Louie Giglio series that was entitled Twentysomething or Twentysomeone. This lesson was packed full with insightful things about finding God’s will and learning how to live in it, most of which I can’t recreate without the aid of my notes, but here’s what I can recall.

*Finding God’s will is about who we are and not what we do.

*Do we really want an "Information Booth God" who we walk up to, ask Him a question and then go on our merry way, or do we want a God who instead of telling us where something is on a map, will just say, "come with me and I’ll show you myself."

*One way to gauge our spiritual maturity is by looking at the time it takes between the moment we sin, and the moment we ask for forgiveness.

*And finally, look at Psalm 37 sometime soon- it tells us to "Dwell in the land," meaning that whatever our circumstances, live life to the fullest, and continue to give God glory, even though the situation you’re in may not be ideal. You can’t just wait for the ideal moments to worship God- you miss out on witnessing to others, you miss out on blessings, and you’re not being faithful and obedient.

There was so much more, but ultimately it was just a very stimulating and challenging evening. Sometimes I am overcome by the evidence of God working in the lives of the those around me, and I can only hope that those people are seeing that in their own lives too. I used to have this journal that I wrote in daily where I would list 5 blessings of that day; 5 simple things that occurred on that day specifically to make me realize how God is working in the big things and the small. So today I’d like to rekindle that and list a few of what I fondly call "small blessings." Feel free to add your own to the list, or just reflect personally on the things you have to be thankful for on this day.
1. sunshine
2. unexpected emails
3. lunch with friends
4. rehearsal tonight
5. conversations with coworkers

6 comments:

Rhonda Lu said...

5 things I'm thankful for today:

1. lunch with a friend
2. Logan's rolls
3. good music (that I'm allowed to listen to at work)
4. I made someone smile
5. free unlimited soda at work

Rhonda Lu said...

I too absolutely loved the "20-something or 20-someone" segment of the Louie Giglio "Lost In Translation" series. After I heard every segment, I just wanted to jump up & down and make everyone I know sit down and listen to it! I suggested it to a friend who was going to buy it but he couldn't find it in any store. So I think it might have to be purchased online. I highly recommend it to anyone reading! OK enough plugging Louie :)

Anonymous said...

things i'm thankful for:
1. lunch with friends
2. new cds
3. time with brett
4. friends who support me
5. email (b/c i would die here w/out it)
~guess who

Kobosky262 said...

Wow, sounds like you guys had an awesome time. I am thankful for...
1)God's ultimate rule
2)Encouraging Friendships

Kobosky262 said...

Wow, sounds like you guys had an awesome time. I am thankful for...
1)God's ultimate rule
2)Encouraging Friendships
3)Sinus Medication
4)Logan's Peanuts in a Bucket
5)Kelty!

Tadd said...

1) Close friends
2) Music
3) Food
4) My family
5) Cheese...wait...is that the same as #3?