Thursday, January 06, 2005

Darned if you do...

And darned if you don’t. I wish I had seen this live, but reading the recap will just have to do. The Penthouse Pets spent Tuesday evening at the Bluebird Café listening to the raucous music of singer/songwriter Jeffrey Steele instead of watching the BCS championship bowl. (Any takers on what BCS should really stand for? Bunch of Crap Statistics?). Since USC pretty much ran the board on OU, the only thing worth watching would have been the half-time debacle where no one’s mike worked, there were looooong delays in between performers while the tech guys sweat it out, and Ashlee Simpson sang. For real. And thank you fans, for the glorious reception you gave her.

But alas, the college football season has come to an end, and darn it if Kentucky didn’t see a bowl game again! Thank goodness for basketball season, is all I can say. Rhonda Lu, our resident Penthouse football nut, is in mourning for the end of the pigskin for a while, so Ari and I are trying to get her into college hoops. And it just so happened that Kentucky had their SEC season opener last night against South Carolina. Ari and I showed up prepared, Ari decked out in head-to-toe blue uk apparel, and me in my gray hoodie with the pink Kentucky stitched across the front. (Is there anything better than pink UK apparel? I think not!) (Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo flying through a beautiful, beautiful sunset...?). Rhonda had chosen an FSU hoodie to wear, but we’ll forgive her because it’s still early in the season.

Now watching a Kentucky basketball game with Ariana and I is always quite the event. Being singers, and self-proclaimed drama queens, we tend to be very vocal. I think we scared away her cat Kiki (“don’t go breakin’ my heart”) with all the shouting, but Ari said that’s normal. We also found a future husband for Rhonda on the UK team. Rajon Rondo is one of our all-star freshmen, and if Rhonda married him, she would be Rhonda Rondo! Luckily her future hubby had a good game. We actually only ended up winning by 4 points, but hey, a win is a win, and I’ll take it going into Sunday’s big game versus Kansas.

I'm in a terrific mood this morning in case you couldn't tell- must have been the 6am pilates. Thanks Rhonda Lu for dragging me out of bed! Have an Ab Fab Thursday, everyone. "peace out" (spoken ala Kip)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO UK!!!!!!!!!!! if one other certain person felt the same way i do........

Adam said...

Jeffrey Steele!! Did he, by chance, sing -- pardon the French -- "Country Badass" or a super-long ballad-turned-classic-rock "Southern Road?" I begin the bragging spree by announcing to the world that I helped record those two songs in November. Also, that I'm a dork.

emilyb said...

I don't think so, but Rhonda correct me if I'm wrong. And Adam, if you've worked with Jeffrey Steele, you are NOT a dork. He's the cool-est. He did, however, sing this amazing song called "Tiny Life." I'd be shocked if no one cuts that one.

Anonymous said...

ooooooooooooooooooooh, C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! it was indeed a glorious night of basketball, although sparks was a little off. i think he's saving his mojo for sunday, and that's just fine with me. i would, however, like to inform the rest of this loyal audience that our self-proclaimed diva has a little bit of a secret. not once, not twice, but....more than twice last night, miss bradley was commenting that things were "blog worthy." it was of great concern, and probably recorded in her memory. i just thought everyone should know how much thought is put into these daily ramblings, and i for one applaud our orator. thanx bradley! ~ari. ("sarcasm is just one of the many services i provide")

Amanda said...

ah yes. the famous new year's quote: "Nobody puts Bradley in a corner" :o)

Rhonda Lu said...

Yeah, nobody puts Bradley in the corner!

Adam, no we love Jeffrey Steele and anyone who has come into close contact with him! Did you touch his hair?? :) I do not know the song you are referring to unfortunately.

Yes, my future husband is Rajon Rondo! My life's purpose is now to be Mrs. Rhonda Rondo. That would rock my face off! I like UK basketball already :)

Amanda said...

...so much so that she flipped through a catalogue through the better part of the second half

RAAAGER said...

Ah, the elusive Mr Steele. I had an opportunity to chat for a few minutes with this AMAZING songwriter last summer (2003) in the greenroom at the WildHorse. I was actually back there to see Jolie Edwards, alas I'm afraid most of you are saying WHOOOOO????? Jeffrey and her wrote a few songs together and he was there to hear her debut what was to be her next single (A song they wrote togther), but Warner canned her to make room for Shannon Brown and thus that cd fell through, and who knows about shannon's. The point, JS is actually very cool, many singer/songwriters are JERKS when not around admiring fans, but Mr Steele was not that way at all.

Hey Amanda, you failed to mention that the MEN Vols actually won a b-ball game, bout time the Lady Vols share some of the spotlight :-) Best of luck to your Cats!!

RAAAGER said...

......and as for Miss Simpson, I thing she sounded more like HOMER Simpson. She has three claims to fame.
1) She is Jessica's sister (or so they say)
2) The SNL thing only added to her fame, free publicity
3) She shares a last name with a famous cartoon family.

Had I been in Miami , I must say i would have been leading the jeers.

Audrey said...

Hi, Amanda! I found your blog through Winn's site, and, I must say, you have quite a fabulous domain going on. You made the right choice in going to the Bluebird, because as much as I love college football, that was not a fun game - thank goodness basketball season is here!

MamaB said...

So you have a secret you aren't telling anyone? does it have anything to do with your new years weekend in Lextown????????????????