Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Calling all Kenny-heads

I’m sitting here listening to the new Kenny Chesney cd that came out yesterday (thank you Amanda Holt) and imagining I’m anywhere but here. I can see why Kenny calls this his "beach album." But as if all the other ones weren’t fun-in-the-sun-and-sand albums either… it’s like EMILY said to Rhonda- "What’s he gonna do to make this one a beach album- fill it with sand?" (Em, just trying to give you the credit that you so very much deserve!) (PS, James, I fixed all the mis-quotes from Dion too- hope you’re happy. Wouldn’t want anyone thinking he was "the guy." Ha ha)

But back to Kenny. What is up with this whole Island thing anyways? I heard him on a radio interview yesterday where he’s going on and on about this being his most personal album yet, and blah, blah, blah, and how sometimes as an artist you get put in a box and people only think of you singing one type of song and how he’s trying to break that mold, blah, blah, blah. Well excuse me Pot, this is Kettle. You’re BLACK!! Aren’t all of Kenny’s albums up to date about being young and enjoying life, and wishing you could go back? So explain to me then how an album full of beach music is any different from that. Kenny, that is so deep. Let’s just forget about work, fly to the Caribbean and lie on the beach all day, drinking Malibu and Diet. Riiiiiight. Since all of us can afford to do that. And when you strut around town in backwards baseball caps, basketball jerseys, and red convertibles, Uncle Kenny, but you say you’re trying to break the mold that you’ve been placed in, how exactly does that work??

Qualm number 2 with the KC and the Moonshine band album is this: this is absolutely not country music. It’s Buffet with Kenny singing vocals. Now explain to me why Jimmy Buffet comes to Nashville years ago and can’t make it as a writer and an artist, so he leaves, becomes enormously popular gaining a Parrothead following, only to come back and try to prove himself again in country music. I don’t care if you sing with Kenny Chesney or Hank Williams Jr. You’re not country. And so now following their famous collaboration, Mr. Chesney feels the need to stray from his enormously popular venture in country music to pursue Island music yet attempt to include it under the guise of country music.

I will say this though, this is some Beachin’ music. It’s definitely making me long for a Spring Break 05 Beach Trip. Who’s goin’ with me?

10 comments:

emilyb said...

Some beach...

Anonymous said...

whoa..... where did the picture go?????

Anonymous said...

*raises hand in Amanda's general direction... volunteers to drive...*

RAAAGER said...

Speaking of Kenny, I just sold the last Kenny Chesney "Team of Destiny" cd single I have on EBay...man that KC sure has made me some money :-)
I am looking at the cover now and although he's wearing his UT cap and jersey, he's facing a BEACH!!! Didn't realize Knoxville was a coastal town ;-)This is a 1999 cd, so the beach theme is definitely NOT new Kenny mon :-)

Amanda said...

Okay - so Kenny may have the short-man's syndrome, but I can and will continue to listen to his music everyday possible.

'I Go Back' all the time as I love to feel 'Young'. Now, Kentucky is 'Back Where I Come From' and in 2003, I moved from there 'For The First Time'. I trekked to New England and, unlike Tennessee - completely land-locked, 'Boston'Massachusetts is 'On the Coast of Somewhere Beautiful'.

Since the move, I recently started having many 'Dreams' of having a 'Keg in the Closet'. But 'Some People Change' & I tell myself that 'The Woman in You' needs to look at the 'Simple Things in Life' and realize how my 'Ordinary Life' is going 'On & On'. Soon, I am going to know 'How Forever Feels' 'When I Close My Eyes' at night.
Now here in Nashville, I am just looking for that hottie to "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me' at night just 'When the Sun Goes Down'.
After that, I will probably want to say 'I'd Done A Lot of Things Differently' as I realize 'There Goes My Life' before my eyes, and I will just want to 'Live Those Songs Again'.

Keep singing Kenny - even if the BVI (British Virgin Islands) is where you get enlightened! BVI isn't a shabby place to be, if you don't mind me sayin'!

(By the way, thanks for the public welcome!)

Audrey said...

Something about a CMT special featuring island footage isn't helping Kenny get out of the box, either. Just makes me want to jump on a cruise ship!

Anonymous said...

I can't say I listen to Kenny at all, so I can't really comment on this post. I did, however, appreciate the pot calling the kettle black part. Very clever. 10 points for you. Was bedeutet...?? (blink blink blink)

Tadd said...

I can't say I listen to Kenny at all, so I can't really comment on this post. I did, however, appreciate the pot calling the kettle black part. Very clever. 10 points for you. Was bedeutet...?? (blink blink blink)

Anonymous said...

Aren't you glad I posted that twice?

Tadd said...

Aren't you glad I posted that twice?