Monday, January 31, 2005

Bring it on...

No, I am not about to give a review of the cheerleading movie. I have officially decided to run the Country Music 1/2 Marathon on April 30, 2005. So mark your calendars! I thought it might be neat to keep a journal on the blog about my progress, etc. It may be boring as Hades for you, but it will keep me accountable and help me get through this grueling process by myself. I've run a 1/2 marathon before (The Half in Dallas, TX on 11/1/03), but I trained and ran it with several friends. But for this one, it's just the road, the rubber, and me. On one hand, that really scares me. But on the other hand, I view it as a new challenge. Training officially starts tomorrow morning with 3 miles. I used to laugh at 3 miles, but I'm not in as good of running shape as I used to be. I will let you know how it goes.

Just to give you some background, three years ago I could barely run 1.5-2 miles. I would get so frustrated and quit. One day I just decided that I was going to make myself learn to run...and learn to like it (to a certain extent. I'm not one of those crazy people that loves to run. I love the sense of accomplishment after I run...and of running farther and farther each week). Slowly but surely I worked my way up to 2.4 miles (the Bear Trail). I signed up for my first race - the Firecracker 5K (3.2 miles) and ran it on July 4, 2002. I was hooked. Pretty soon I had worked my way up to 5 miles, so I ran the Boulevard Bolt on Thanksgiving day 2002. All of my friends in college were running 1/2 and full marathons, so I was around it a lot. I ran 6 miles...and then 7. That's when I decided to go for the 1/2. So on 11/1/03, I completed my first 1/2 marathon. It was one of the best and worst experiences of my life. It took me 2 hours and 20 minutes (not great, but not too shabby). I tell all of this just to prove that anyone can run. Trust me, if I can run, you can run! It's amazing what you can do when you prepare and train yourself for something (not just running).

Ok, enough of the cheesy stuff. Stay tuned for more of my training journey...

6 comments:

Kobosky262 said...

"Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must move faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must move faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be moving." - Maurice Greene

I am so excited you are training for the half marathon! That is just awesome. Keep me posted on the progress. -shel

Amanda said...

"The first time I see a jogger smiling I'll consider it." -Joan Rivers

Rhonda Lu said...

Emmy Sue I am so proud of you. Perhaps you will rub off on the weak ones like me who grunt at Pilates. We'd love to read your progress updates.

jillymae said...

just a reminder from your friendly neighborhood massage guru...STRETCH!!! dude, seriously, don't forget to stretch and warm up those muscles before running =) we have to give them a fighting chance to wimp out before we abuse them ;)

seriously, though, good luck with the training and the marathon! and as far as the aches and pains of training goes just remember, it's just mind over matter...if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!

emilyb said...

Thanks for the encouragement/good advice, everyone! Jill, I promise to stretch. I've also set aside Sundays as my "strecth and strength" day. Where have you been by the way? I haven't seen you at church...we miss you!

jillymae said...

yeah, i took a little break for a while. but i've been goin to PLACE class the last few weeks and i'll probably go to Single Journey after that. sorry i've missed ya! i guess you've been ziggin when i was zaggin!

glad to know you are devoting a whole day to stretch =) don't forget to stretch before and after you run! it's very important! and when you get "jacked up" from not stretching (because i know it's gonna happen =D) give me a call. the massage guru does make house calls!

p.s. I'M BLOGGING AGAIN - COME, READ!

http://the-now-and-the-not-yet.blogspot.com/